Best way to adjust a metal nut slot (cheap SX 8 string)

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Nic Neufeld

Best way to adjust a metal nut slot (cheap SX 8 string)

Post by Nic Neufeld »

Hi guys,

So I have and still love a SX 8-string lap steel. I've got a better pickup in it and I keep it tuned to B11...with a low B (I think a .065 or somewhere around there). Here's a sample image of the headstock:

My mild problem is that the big low B string is not even with the other strings so I end up getting a lot of excess string noise or rattling unless I mash down really hard. Getting the tops of the strings inline, at least up by the neck, would be really nice. So a slightly widened/deepened slot would be ideal.

It's basically a cheap metal L shaped bracket (the nut). Any idea of the right way to go about altering the nut? I know most nut files are intended for use with bone or plastic nuts, and I don't have a set of those anyway, hah. So a simple and cheap method to get a "good enough" fit would be awesome...like if there's a non-ideal but readily available file that one could carefully use a bit at a time til the fit feels right? Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Waikīkī, at night when the shadows are falling
I hear the rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I had to cut the string slots on an aluminum nut I made for a guitar just recently.
I used one of those wire cleaners for the end of an acetylene torch.
There's all different sizes available in the set and it really worked good. :D
Erv
Nic Neufeld

Post by Nic Neufeld »

Thanks Erv, there's one for 7 bucks on Amazon, cheap enough to give it a shot!
Waikīkī, at night when the shadows are falling
I hear the rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Nic,
I'm sure it will do the job for you. :D
Erv
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Be mindful of leaving too much of a flat surface. That is where the whiny, or sitar-ish sounds come from.
Examine the other slots so you can see how they are angled and how much of the surface the string touches.
William Echard

Post by William Echard »

Does anyone know if it could also be OK to use regular nut slotting files on metal? I just did some pretty extensive adjustments on a brass nut using a set of Hosco files and it seemed to work fine. But might it have dulled or clogged them extra quickly? Anything to watch for?
George Piburn

Triangle Needle File

Post by George Piburn »

Hello from GorgeBoards to Nic.

A Simple Triangle Needle file will do everything you need.

I got mine in a set at Walmart hardware section in the 5 dollar range.

I've cut hundreds of metal nut slots with only one over the years.

I use some 1000 grit sand paper folded over to get in the V slot and soften the leading and back side micro edges to clean up any microscopic debris that is a major contributor to string Buzz.

The file can help too, using it in a downward angle to sort of round over the bottom and sides of the Vee Cuts.

Remember --- it is easy to depthen a V Slot, it is very difficult to put metal shaving back. -- Less is more.
Chris Harwood

Post by Chris Harwood »

Use your bar or similar item to check for equal heights across the strings as you file. Probably a given...but others may have better advice.
National Grand Console dbl 8, Oahu Diana, Supro Comet and about 20 various elec gtrs and basses.
Complete audio/video studio with i9 processor and 32Gig DDR5 Ram w/all solid state drives. Presonus Studio One (current version) with top of the line plugins from Omnisphere to Eventide.
Over 500 videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtG56H ... PKPbaG1_CQ