LeGrande with no serial number?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andrew Wright

LeGrande with no serial number?

Post by Andrew Wright »

How unusual is it that the LeGrande I acquired at an estate auction does not appear to have a serial number? I've owned a couple before and they always had a number in the end plate.

The family's story about this one is that "it came from Buddy Emmons himself because Dad knew him" but I'm inclined to be skeptical.

I don't see anything obviously amiss, and I don't see any sign of a modification to the end plate (filing marks, or filled/covered area).

It has the Lashley LeGrande style sticker and 4 hole bell cranks. Currently a SD-10 and would have started as a D-10.
Rick Kornacker

Just an "educated" guess...

Post by Rick Kornacker »

Hey Andrew! Maybe your guitar doesn't have the original endplate. Is there a cutout for where the C6 neck "was" or has it been "plugged" for cosmetic purposes. A replaced end plate probably would not have a serial number. It is unlikely to have come from the factory with no serial #...! Just a thought...play the fire out of it. Regards,RK😉
"think MORE...play LESS"
Andrew Wright

Post by Andrew Wright »

Thanks for the reply. I did wonder that, but the endplates do seem to match. It's cutout - they didn't do any plugging.
Ian Worley

Re: Just an

Post by Ian Worley »

Rick Kornacker wrote:Hey Andrew! Maybe your guitar doesn't have the original endplate. Is there a cutout for where the C6 neck "was" or has it been "plugged" for cosmetic purposes. A replaced end plate probably would not have a serial number. It is unlikely to have come from the factory with no serial #...! Just a thought...play the fire out of it. Regards,RK😉
Changer window is not relevant as LeGrande serials are stamped on the opposite end of the guitar from the changer, on the C6 side of the keyhead endplate typically
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Mitch Ellis

Post by Mitch Ellis »

Hey Andrew!
How does it play and sound? Could you post some pictures? I have seen Emmons SD10's come from the factory with a D10 endplate on the changer end. I guess it was all that they had on hand at the time.

Mitch
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

If it were originally a D10, there should be evidence on the flocking where brackets and screws were placed along with some screw holes.

If the guitar doesn't display and evidence of all that, unless someone can actually verify it was once a D10, it probably is not and was shipped that way. Lots of Emmons SD10s had D10 cutout endplates.

I can't help with the serial #, but I would not be surprised if some guitars were shipped less them.

Photos would be a big help.
Andrew Wright

Post by Andrew Wright »

Appreciate the replies. Here are some pics.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

That's a factory SD10, there is no changer cut-out in the top deck on the C6 side, no screw holes for a C6 keyhead.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Andrew Wright

Post by Andrew Wright »

I understand your thinking, and it does seem like that pad does not extend as far as the one on my other LeGrande D-10 to SD-10 conversion, but what would the explanation be for all the screw holes on the underside if hardware for a C6 neck was not there?
Kelcey ONeil

Post by Kelcey ONeil »

It's a factory SD10, no changer cutout on the C6 deck and no neck screws either. Emmons SD10's came with a D10 endplate because they were cast that way. Someone has clearly tinkered with the knee levers positions and such, hence all the screws holes. Judging by the features it's circa 1985, it has the once piece changer comb and tail piece, but a full length key head. It wouldn't surprise me to see one without a serial on it, especially if it was a demo model or something.
Co-owner and operator: Emmons Guitar Co.
Andrew Wright

Post by Andrew Wright »

Ok - thanks for educating me!