Emmons Missing RKL Stop

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

J. David Carrera

Emmons Missing RKL Stop

Post by J. David Carrera »

Hello

I'm setting up a (new to me) 66 Emmons Push Pull and I think I've got everything were it needs to be, except it seems like RKL is missing its stop. Is there something I'm not seeing regarding how a stop on this lever would work? It doesn't seem to be missing any pieces. Would it have came like this from the factory?

I'd like to avoid breaking any fingers so if I were to add a stop does anyone have suggestions on where to add it and where to get the parts? I'm familiar with PSGParts.com but it seems like his site is down.

I'm a bit new to working on push pulls, any help is deeply appreciated!

Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

This is what you are missing.

Would have been simple if PSGParts were still operating but he's closed shop .... for now at least.
Try writing Wayne here and see if maybe he's got something. I don't see it listed, though.
https://outwestcountry.ca/index.php/pro ... sed-parts/
Kelcey ONeil

Post by Kelcey ONeil »

That guitar would not have had any knee levers originally, however it was very common for factory setups to not have a stop for that lever. You can add a stop of some kind if you want, but there is no risk of breaking a finger, and as long the set screw are tight on the bell cranks, you should be fine. You may consider using a socket head screw on the 1st string bell crank so you can put some torque on it(not too much though!). Btw, that screw would be 8-32 thread by 1/4" long.
Co-owner and operator: Emmons Guitar Co.
J. David Carrera

Post by J. David Carrera »

Jon and Kelcey, thanks very much for your replies.

It's good to know it's not an essential piece. I may order one at some point if I can ever get one from Michael Yahl. Otherwise I'll just make sure those bellcranks are nice and secure like Kelcey said.

Thanks again.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Kelsey is correct and I see you lower 6th which would sorta act as a stop on lowers, especially with that short of push rod. If you absolutely wanted to add a stop, you could add one easy where that wire runs across. That is if the knee lever is long under the cross bar.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Nothing I can think of any worse than a knee leaver with out a good solid stop.

The old Emmons push pulls knee leavers stops work well .

But the Franklin style knee leaver design is one of my favorite designs.
I’ll never understand why all of the good features of good designed pedal steel mechanics can’t be adapted ,
Into one good steel.
Last edited by Johnie King on 14 Oct 2023 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Good stops make for a good steel!
Last edited by Johnie King on 14 Oct 2023 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

On a push pull, the lower rod itself is a good solid stop on right knee, the shorter lowers. The left knee lowers do need a solid stop as the lower rods can tend to flex making knee spongy. Just my opinion. I think the ShoBud super pros had the right idea with the stop built right into the knee bracket. Very positive.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.