2 Dollars in the Juke box

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gene Vance

2 Dollars in the Juke box

Post by Gene Vance »

One Article stated that Lloyd Green played Steel on all Eddie Rabbit's songs. Has anyone tabbed the Steel work in "Two Dollars in the Juke Box" song? The rif between stanzas is reasonably simple, but the middle break has some things to be learned.
Gene Vance
MSA D10, Session 400
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I believe that was Sonny Garrish. That's what I had heard. The only 2 listed are Sonny and Hal Rugg. Didn't really sound like Hal to me.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jim Park

On second thought

Post by Jim Park »

It's Paul Franklin....... maybe someone with the vinyl copy can verify that, I remember running down to the record shop and looking. I used to drive the record shop guy crazy, I would always look at the credits before I bought an album. One day he confronted me, and I found out that he didn't know that the studio players were listed on the back. I still use licks I learned from that song.
Fred Amendola

Post by Fred Amendola »

It's Sonny.
Gene Vance

2 Dollars in the jukebox

Post by Gene Vance »

I guess the article was incorrect; I am happy to know who the artist really was. The question still remains, does anyone have tabs for the middle steel part by Sonny?
Gene Vance
MSA D10, Session 400
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

ha ha ..i always get a kick out of conflicting definitive answers. i'd like to believe jim cause i know him to be a sane intelligent person.
but i know how all this gets misconstrued. i'd have probably thought sonny....but now i'd like to hear it again.
there was a used records store downtown sacramento
where i got most of my records. it was called
'records'. like jim, i immediately looked for steel credits first. i would by anything with a good steel listed. the records ranged from about $2 to $4.
gary stewart, conway, all kinds of buddy emmons albums, etc.
Richard Sinkler

I've seen Sonny listed on many Eddie Rabbitt albums. Never seen Paul on one though. But could have been.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Richard Sinkler

Here you go Chris. Sure sounds like Sonny to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-C2Pt_94io
Richard Sinkler

Put on headphones, and a lot of the steel work is double tracked. A trademark of Sonny's. It would be nice to find out for sure.
Richard Sinkler

Re: 2 Dollars in the Juke box

Gene Vance wrote:One Article stated that Lloyd Green played Steel on all Eddie Rabbit's songs. Has anyone tabbed the Steel work in "Two Dollars in the Juke Box" song? The rif between stanzas is reasonably simple, but the middle break has some things to be learned.
I used to play this song a million years ago, and had the solo pretty close. Bear in mind that the solo was double tracked. I'll try to see if I can remember it. Maybe someone will chime in first.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

oh yeah. i think it's sonny. i remember playing
something like that lick back then.
sonny's tone is smooth and his licks tastefully placed.
Jim Park

Post by Jim Park »

I realized last night that I had crossconfuzzled Two dollars in the Jukebox with On Second Thought.........thus the erroneous identification........
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Paul was on "On Second Thought". "Two Dollars In The Jukebox" featured Sonny.
Shaun Marshall

Post by Shaun Marshall »

A great example 👏 of backup playing that is both "fancy yet fits". On a live version on YouTube from the 9/28/21 show by Josh Headley frome Dees's Lounge, with Awesome Eddy Langeon steel & I think it's William on great Tele play'n, they play it twin guitar style. I just assumed the original was twin guitars but the experts say Sonny double his parts. Pardon my ignorance, I'm from California, lol 😄