I'm bumming about finger picking

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ted Duncan

Post by Ted Duncan »

I have spent a little time looking at various finger picks on the 'net. For those who might like to see what is out there all in one spot, Elderly Instruments has a fairly large representation of types and brands. https://www.elderly.com/collections/category_picks
Ted Duncan

Post by Ted Duncan »

For me, finger picks have always been a gigantic pain in the cuticle. While I've been looking around for finger picks, I've also been looking for something to make them hurt my fingers less. And I've found something that not only cushions the cuticle ... it also keeps the pick from sliding off the finger. AND its reusable!

This advice came from, of all things, an autoharp player.

Here's the vid I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKNMVRtvyj0

The product is called "3M Nexcare absolute waterproof tape". It can be found in almost any grocery or drug store ... and its cheap. I bought mine at Kroger and it cost $6.49 for a 5 yard roll.

Being a sometime Banjo and auto-harp picker myself, I know that their word is considered somewhat suspect by some and lightly taken by most. So before telling anybody here about it, I put this stuff to the test myownseff this very morning. As directed by the guy in the autoharp video, I cut off a couple hunks and installed it on my fingers. For the first test I used two different style fingerpicks ... I selected the tightest, never-fitted-properly, cut-up-the-cuticles pair I own and crammed them on my fingers. Although I can't pick much these days, I did what I could and then wore them for 1/2 hour until the tips of my fingers started turning blue (seriously). I'll tell you what ... THIS STUFF WORKS!!! Although way tighter then hell ... my cute cuticles didn't hurt at all. Whats more, the picks stuck on so well I almost had to get a pair of pliers to pull them off! Again ... Seriously.

After I pulled the picks and tape off, I waited a bit, selected a pair of picks that had been fitted close to properly and gave them the same 1/2 hour ride wearing the tape. My cuticles didn't hurt at all ... and even though the adhesive was gone, the tape and picks absolutely stayed where I put them. No blue finger tips this time, and taking them off was much, much easier.

Forgive my terrible photos. I'm not much useful as a photographer with my left hand.

The Autoharp picker in the video is right. After the first use ... and adhesive is gone, but you can re-use the tape just fine without it until the tape wears out.

The texture is rubbery.
Yes, it stretches.
Yes, the box says that it's hypoallergenic.
Yes, it is very flexible so you can put it on a finger joint and still bend the joint with no problem.

So far ... this stuff works for me. It could be finger-picking LIFE changing. :whoa: :eek:

I'll get back to you if something changes.

As always, YMMV!!! Do your own homework ... and don't take any wooden ... pizza.