10 String E-Harp

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

David Decker

10 String E-Harp

Post by David Decker »

Any idea what this would be worth? And would there be a market for it. Pickup works fine, controls work but are a little scratchy. Case in good serviceable condition for its age. The bars are E-harp also. Also an old cord is in the case too.

Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

This is the first version of the Eharp, 1940s. If you sell it, I suggest that you list it as an Epiphone 10-string lap steel (as well as an Eharp). Epiphone built it and prospective buyers would recognize the Epiphone name more than Eharp.

I've been out of the buy-sell game for quite a while, but in my opinion these Epi Eharps have always been undervalued by players and collectors. I've owned three of them, and the last one I sold was back in 2013. The selling price at that time is irrelevant in today's world, but I do know that I had to drop the price a couple of times to sell it. These Epi models are rare but the demand is not there, as it would be with 10-string Gibson or Rickenbacker from that era..
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 11 Oct 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

What you have is one of the original Epiphone Eharps. They were built from the late 40's to early 50's. Yours has the advantage of having an intact handrest. Most have yellowed or decayed, so to find one with a working hand rest is a plus. The pots can be cleaned, but the pickup is an issue if it has any problems at all. Those pickups cannot be re-wound. I know from bitter experience. So if there is any problem with the pickup, that will impact its value.

When I first started collecting eharps and devoting myself to the Alkire tuning, I could pickup one of these for about $900. Today, there are worth more, closer to $1,500 give or take.
The other issue is the condition of the tuning pegs. Often these disolve into dust when trying to tune up, but they can be replaced.

Here is mine:

Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Geez Bill, just one minute apart! :)
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I have an alarm that goes off in my house anytime someone mentions "Eharp". Like the Bat Signal. :)
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Bill McCloskey wrote:I have an alarm that goes off in my house anytime someone mentions "Eharp". Like the Bat Signal. :)
Eharp, Eharp, Eharp

Did it go off 3x or just once?
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Who the heck is waking me from my nap?