Sending overseas by boat

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Susan Alcorn

Sending overseas by boat

Post by Susan Alcorn »

I need to send and instrument by sea to Tokyo, Japan but am having trouble finding a decent shipping company.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Just curious, but why by sea? Do you have a principled objection to air transit? Or is the instrument afraid of heights? I have the greatest respect for what you do so it must be a good reason :)
Last edited by Ian Rae on 6 Oct 2023 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Perhaps DHL?

Packages by boat...hmmmm!
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

Thanks Ian and Howard.

Ian, the reason I want by boat is that it's cheaper than sending it by air.

Howard, Thanks, I tried DHL today. No dice for them.
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Japan, Jon, Japan :roll:
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Raybob Bowman

Post by Raybob Bowman »

Haven't done it in a while, but I've sent amps overseas to various countries using IPSparcel.com THey consolidate shippments using FedEx and other companies. They were always much less cost than using FedEx or any other carrier, but always delivered.
Sierra U12 4+5 / 1933 Dobro / homemade Tele B-bender
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

I've moved from the Americas to Europe and back several times. When we moved, ALL went on ship. I always use a dedicated container for my stuff. NEVER had an issue.
The chaos always being some arrival ports and customs and the risk of things being opened and not closed correctly again, misplaced, even stolen.

If it were on instrument I would only fly it using a major carrier.
In my opinion, having seen some of the packages being dumped a UPS etc... most losses (damage) come from ridiculously miserable packaging.

My rule is, it has to withstand dropping and preferably even throwing from hand's height and also having a similar weight item thrown ON it.

Double box, with snug styrofoam BOARDS (NOT the "pop-corn" crap!) and the guitar's case BELTED so it CANNOT open). Outer box wrapped AROUND with tape in all 3 dimensions.

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Susan, you need to search "LCL shippers", and perhaps add in the origin and destination names? But start with just LCL, and maybe US to Japan. And contact bunches - different ones work different routes. LCL is "Less than Container Load" - so they handle stuff smaller stuff and consolidate it. Try to use larger locations for origin and destination, and seaports are even better. Things going US to Japan are usually cheap as boats go loaded from Asia to US, but often have empty containers going the other way.

Issues you might face will be customs in Japan, and delivery to door if person cannot pick it up in the port or the shippers local warehouse.
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
fraser

Post by fraser »

Susan, why don't you see if Excel/Mitsuo will lend/rent you a guitar while you are there.

Fraser
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Another way to consider shipping.

If your guitar is light enough to take as check baggage, Check with airline limit, 55lb check baggage international, Last time involved.

You may want to consider sending a package with clothes
and personal items ahead by air. Lighter and cheaper shipping. Taking your guitar and a carry on, On the plane. Take any information on your shows and your need of the instrument to perform, And that the guitar will return to the USA with you. May cut custom and import problems.

In extra package, Pack single items in flat plastic bags, So at customs, They can check without getting items dirty or torn going through the package.

You may want to check on declaring the guitar, Volume pedal, and Effects on a CBP Form 4457 With customs before leaving the the USA, less problem on your return.
Have a safe fun trip.