Adding a 6 string back neck to a SD

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Aaron Brownwood

Adding a 6 string back neck to a SD

Post by Aaron Brownwood »

While my dream of owning the MSA D-10/6 will probably not fade, I'm looking into adding a six string neck and replacing the pad on my Mullen RP SD10. I've seen a post where someone did this themselves.

Any advice or info on if this can be accomplished with reasonable costs? It would be nice to have dual pickups, for a piezo fishman for Dobro and a humbucker for more slide guitar.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

If your guitar is 33" or longer, A Marrs RGS would be an easy way for a quick fix for Do-Bro.

Or go all out and make an add on neck, With pickups and even under guitar electronics with a switch to go from Front neck to Back neck.

Good Luck in this project.
Aaron Brownwood

Thanks for the suggestion. My rig is just under that width by about an inch!
Mike DiAlesandro

Here is a photo of one...

Post by Mike DiAlesandro »

Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Here's another, just to maybe spur some ideas:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com//viewtopic.php?t=340447
Aaron Brownwood

Wow thanks for the input. This forum never fails! Such great ideas. I've got a message into Jim Palenscar to see if he has some good options.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

I did this with my S-12 Bud. Haven’t gotten around to trying a bridge piezo yet but it’s in my plan. This old Teisco pickup is very microphonic and dobro-like already and running it through an EQ pedal or Fishman Aura isn’t bad in a loud electric stage environment so I might not bother. The Stringtone device gets me to G or D tunings quickly.

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Aaron Brownwood

Wow that's a cool idea tuning to G or D. Looks great. What's the input setup like? Is there a separate jack or were you able to combine into a single?
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Aaron Brownwood wrote:Wow that's a cool idea tuning to G or D. Looks great. What's the input setup like? Is there a separate jack or were you able to combine into a single?
I have a neck selector switch, but having a separate output option could be useful to go to another channel, amp or DI.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.