Polytone Mini Brute II reverb question.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ted Duncan

Polytone Mini Brute II reverb question.

Post by Ted Duncan »

I guess I'm just bored waiting around to find out how the doc is gonna fix my fingers.

I bought this Polytone Mini Brute II back when I was messing with Jazz a million years ago. It's still in good shape, sounds real good, and living on Social Security, I'm not going to replace it in the foreseeable future.

I think its a great amp ... but the reverb ... well, it works just the same as ever, but it's just not "reverb enough" for lap steel.

Is there anything I can do to punch it up a bit? I've done searches, some folks talk about installing a new 3 spring box ... but that was years ago.

Are these things available anywhere?

Is it a simple plug-in mod?

Back then a 3 spring box ran about $25... can't imagine the cost now.

Has anybody tried this? Any improvement to speak of?

I guess the alternative is buying some kind of stomp box. As somebody on a fixed income, I have to ask if there is anything "decent" between $50-$100?

EDIT: THIS AMP IS A MINI BRUTE II. SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION.
Last edited by Ted Duncan on 5 Oct 2023 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I didn't remember this III amp having a reverb circuit, but memory is not my long suit. Anyway, if there's a tank in there, you can get the model number off it and match it up with the new MOD brand reverb tanks from www.tubesandmore.com These are really good replacement units and sound great. Priced there usually less than $30.

Of course a lot of the reverb's character lives in the amp circuitry.

If you're interested in an external rev. stomp box, there are several choices. Some have been posted here from time to time.

FWIW, I have a Behringer Reverb and Delay combo pedal for sale in the classifieds if you're interested in that.
Ted Duncan

Post by Ted Duncan »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:I didn't remember this III amp having a reverb circuit, but memory is not my long suit.
As it turns out, your memory is probably better than mine. Its a MB II ... and yes, it has a reverb. I adjusted my post ... and I am sorry if there was any confusion.

Thank you for your reply. I went to that shop you suggested. They have a couple of GREAT articles about these things. Very helpful for those of us who only know about that crashing, echoing sound when your girlfriend slams your car door for the last time.
Last edited by Ted Duncan on 5 Oct 2023 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Overstreet

No biggie. Hope you get it sorted out.
Scott Denniston

Post by Scott Denniston »

Love those old Polytones. Unless you're set on something integrated though there's such a variety of great reverb boxes out now. The only one I have presently is the Nux Atlantic Reverb/Delay and you can get a very wide spectrum of reverbs through it. Also as a bonus you can mix in some delay if you like. I've seen them for $100 used but for another $30 you can get a new one. There are a lot of other boxes out there that are pretty good. There's also the budget friendly Joyo Reverb for under $50. I've never actually heard that one but was told they're good. >>>> https://reverb.com/p/joyo-jf-20-moist-reverb
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Does it have a long tank, or a short one?
Jerry Overstreet

....Very helpful for those of us who only know about that crashing, echoing sound when your girlfriend slams your car door for the last time.
....uh yeah...been there...🤕
Ted Duncan

Post by Ted Duncan »

Donny Hinson wrote:Does it have a long tank, or a short one?
In all these years I've never had a reason to take the back off this amp ... Considering your question, and since I'm curious as an old raccoon, I took the back off ... and can't find the tank right off. Looks like I'm going to need to pull more out of the case to even get close to it.

So before getting insulation everywhere, I did a little looking around on the internet. According to a guy who replaced his, the MOD replacement (MOD8DB2C1D) measures 7 X 5 X 7 inches ... and that's a 3 spring tank. BUT, according to Antique Electronic Supply ... it's a "medium decay" type, and their article on reverb tanks say guitars need a "long decay". I don't find anything that tells me I would be gaining anything after all the work to take the amp apart.

Any experience in this?

BTW ... the price is right for me at about $25.00
Ted Duncan

Post by Ted Duncan »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
....Very helpful for those of us who only know about that crashing, echoing sound when your girlfriend slams your car door for the last time.
....uh yeah...been there...🤕
There might be a Country song in there somewhere ... if you could get the bass player to reach over and kinda give your amp a kick when the song calls for that crashing sound, it could be very effective. :eek:
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

Ted a replacement "long" decay tank would be a 8DB3C1D, I didn't find one.
BTW, the connectors for that tank face down, so the tank is mounted vertically.
Ted Duncan

Post by Ted Duncan »

Bill A. Moore wrote:Ted a replacement "long" decay tank would be a 8DB3C1D, I didn't find one.
I didn't either. I really don't know ANYTHING about this and am feeling my way as I go along. The article I saw and the shops website said that the "long decay" is the one for guitars ... and then they don't have one.

Bill A. Moore wrote:BTW, the connectors for that tank face down, so the tank is mounted vertically.
This I didn't know. There isn't a lot of room in that cabinet ... but somebody got one of them in there.

More looking and learning.

It's important to keep in mind that this isn't a repair. It's a modification. In the long run, I just might be better off saving for an external box.
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Be careful when working on the inside of a Polytone amp. There is insulation in there and over time is gets loose and fiberglass particles fly around. The Polytone reverb is somewhat weak. A reverb pedal would be better than replacing the tank. I have a few Polytone amps and they still sound nice after 40 years.
I survived the sixties!
Ted Duncan

Post by Ted Duncan »

Len Amaral wrote:Be careful when working on the inside of a Polytone amp. There is insulation in there and over time is gets loose and fiberglass particles fly around.

Don't I know it. :eek: That's where I stopped and started rethinking all of this.

Len Amaral wrote: The Polytone reverb is somewhat weak. A reverb pedal would be better than replacing the tank.
Yep. Back in the day it was fine for what I was doing ... but I think the Lap Steel needs a little more than the Polytone has. The more I look into it I'm thinking I'm better off just getting some kind of pedal.

The truth is I'm kinda bored with not doing anything because my fingers can't bend. Maybe I should just take the wife's washing machine apart.

Len Amaral wrote: I have a few Polytone amps and they still sound nice after 40 years.

Mine too ... and I would hate to mess up an Amp that is working just fine. Maybe I'll just put the cover back on in the morning and forget about the whole thing.
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

I'm also a fan of the old Polytones and sometimes play through the Mini Brute II. It has a reverb, but I've never been crazy about the reverb, so I just use a reverb pedal.
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

Deleted
Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 7 Oct 2023 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I used my Mini Brute II for pedal steel on the bandstand for years, and found its reverb perfectly acceptable. But I use only enough reverb that it's barely noticeable, turning it up until it's obvious that it's on, and then backing it off a notch. I use small (5-15 watt) tube amps without reverb for lap steel.
Ted Duncan

Post by Ted Duncan »

Susan Alcorn wrote:I'm also a fan of the old Polytones and sometimes play through the Mini Brute II. It has a reverb, but I've never been crazy about the reverb, so I just use a reverb pedal.
I really like mine as well, but it looks as if you like yours twice as much as I do. :D
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

Oops
www.susanalcorn.net

- Mary Oliver