Getting Back into Pedal Steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Grieco

Getting Back into Pedal Steel

Post by Rick Grieco »

Hello all! Just joined the forum! After a very long layoff, I'm getting back into playing steel. Started back in the 70s with a Little Buddy, then a 1971 Sho Bud Maverick. Both 3x1 guitars with limited capabilities...I know these are starter guitars and aren't the best way to play, but it certainly afforded me a way into playing. Still have the Maverick, but longing for something better.

As I'll be retiring early next year, I decided to treat myself to a new steel...I've ordered a Justice S10 from Ron Anderson and will hopefully be taking delivery in the next month. It's a 3x4, and I can't wait to get my hands on it! Ron is awesome to work with, and from everything I've read, Justice guitars are excellent in build quality and tone. I've been reading the forum for over a year, and I've gotten a lot of good ideas and advice from you all. It's an awesome group, and I'm so happy to be a part of it! Now if I can only get better at playing!!
Last edited by Rick Grieco on 6 Nov 2023 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justice S10 3x4 Blue Ripple
1975 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Peavey Bandit 112 Sheffield
Fender Champion 50XL
Gibson SG Standard
Gretsch G5422-12
Nicholas Cox

Congrats

Post by Nicholas Cox »

Congrats on the new guitar and the retirement! Have fun!
Scott Denniston

Post by Scott Denniston »

I retired too about 1 1/2 years ago. I did get to gig a LOT through the '80s & some in the 90's and a little since then. Now I'm surprised at how busy one can be even without a job. I'm disciplining myself to practice and learning though & fully diggin it. There's so much more to work with now. I mean materials, communication, courses, etc.. All the available courses, BIAB, backing tracks...stuff we didn't have in the old days. I'm in kind of a remote area and haven't really found the right group to play with (haven't looked too hard). For now it's pretty fulfilling to be progressing on my instrument.
Rick Grieco

Post by Rick Grieco »

Thanks, Nicholas!

Scott, I have lots of things on my list to finally be able to do when I retire, and of course one of them is more time on the steel!
You're right, there's so much out there at our disposal that we wouldn't have dreamed of back in the 70s/80s. I've been watching as much as I can and now just waiting for my new steel so I can really dig in! Glad to hear you're progressing...I hope to as well!
Fender Champion 50XL
Gibson SG Standard
Gretsch G5422-12
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Scott's right. Having a day job REALLY interferes with the important things in life.

Like gigging! ;-)
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

You have to watch close when you retire, Some people will want to load you down. You will be as busy, Or worse than when you was working.

When someone wants you to do something. And it don't fit with your plans.

First answer is NO. If they insist you do it.
If the preacher its HECK NO
Everyone else its H#!! NO.
And, Never miss an opportunity to keep mouth shut when someone wants a volunteer.

This has worked great for me, For 17 years of retirement.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Bobby has sage advice and I follow the same rules. I play pedal steel at least an hour daily. I only gig at respectable venues and no more late nights. I jam at home with my son's band which keeps me on my toes with new music and challenges. Yes the media selections are plentiful and nothing like the 60s to the 90s. I'm enjoying my retirement at my own pace since 2009.
Carl Butler

Back in the saddle again

Post by Carl Butler »

Thought I’d make a post to see how many Growler/ShoNuff players are out there..
Just made the commitment to buy a 10 string 3P 4K ShoNuff in Black Cherry finish
Looking forward to relearning how to play, this time on 10 rather than 6 strings
Hoping to have the new guy in my home some time in November

Carl
Hudson 6 String 2 pedal 2 knee pedal steel (sold)
Gretsch 6 string lap steel
Fender Acoustasonic Player Jazzmaster
2012 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Standard guitar
2012 Gibson Keb Mo guitar (sold)
194+ Gibson Plectrum Banjo
Gold Tone Bouzouki
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

A good refresher chart for starting over, I suggest you go to the Instruction bar, At top of forum home page, Go to page 6, The Mel-Bay chord chart is a road map, Of the 10 string E9th 3 pedal 4 knee lever steel set up. Giving pedal, lever and strings to use for Major, Minor, Diminish, 7th and Augmented chords.

Good Luck on your new journey with Steel Guitar, Happy Steelin.
Rick Grieco

Post by Rick Grieco »

My new Justice S10 will be shipping this week! Here's a picture of it Ron sent me the other day.

Once I receive it, I'll be putting my 1971 Sho Bud Maverick up for sale here on the forum.
Fender Champion 50XL
Gibson SG Standard
Gretsch G5422-12