PSA Bowman Steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Miller

PSA Bowman Steel

Post by Michael Miller »

I believe the seller has misrepresented this pedal steel as lap. Built by player Bobby Bowman? Very clean; somewhat rare? Highly regarded? Possibly a good price if you can get around the shipping cost!:

https://reverb.com/item/73458959-bowman-lapsteel
Rick Baker

Bowman

Post by Rick Baker »

Typical pawn shop... :D
...it's never to late to be the good guy...
Emmons Legrande D10 9/7, 'cause I'm an Emmons guy.
Lee Rider

Post by Lee Rider »

Checked it out. Here is a picture of the changer. I don't know much about push pulls but it looks that way to me:

StringBender Musical Instruments selling Gene Parson's StringBender products
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

I don't how many like this that Bobby built, but it looks like the same guitar in this for sale thread from 2014: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=272627. I remember saving some of the pics of the changer from that thread because I thought the way the raise rods were mounted was cool, directly to the raise fingers without the wire hooks. In the pics on Reverb the legs appear short, perhaps separated or cut off, it looks like the ends are still attached to the pedal rack, so perhaps they've just been pulled out of the clutches. Will definitely require some TLC, but potentially a nice guitar if it's all there. Would be a good project for someone local if you could get it for $800-$900. The $450 quoted for shipping is a bit ridiculous for a mystery guitar in unknown condition.

There's a thread on the old forum where Bobby discusses building his "B" PPs: https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/009198.html, sounds like there were more than one, but it's not clear how many more.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Fred

Post by Fred »

The price looks attractive but the shipping is $450 and it's listed as an 8-string lap steel when it's obviously a 10-string pedal steel.

I'd proceed with caution.
Lee Rider

Post by Lee Rider »

Sometimes we get lucky. I had them send pictures and saw that it was a 3x5 push pull SD-10 Bowman pedal steel. Offered $1200 including shipping and bought it. Came in the case string side up with nothing else inside for packing and the divider in the case was busted but the guitar came in good condition. Got it put together and tuned up. Had to figure out how to adjust everything as I have never seen the underside of a push pull guitar.

Good news is it is a really great guitar. Plays great, stays in tune and sounds much better than my PRP Mullen. I guess Bobby mounted the interior parts of the legs to the pedal bar so you just push them into the clutches and tighten. Not sure how many of these are around but it sure is a good guitar.
StringBender Musical Instruments selling Gene Parson's StringBender products
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Ah Cool! Congratulations Lee. Glad to see you score a good deal.