Steel Episode 2: Raphael McGregor

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Matt Perpick

Steel Episode 2: Raphael McGregor

Post by Matt Perpick »

Hey all,

Episode 2 of Steel is out and it features Raphael McGregor, a wonderful lap (and pedal) steel player from Brooklyn. Thanks!

- https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 1701635981

- https://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcas ... -mcgregor/
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Raphael is as nice a cat as there is, and he is a great player. Should be a great listen.
Levi Gemmell

Post by Levi Gemmell »

Great episode, really enjoyed.

Mike: Not to derail the subject, am I right to assume to that Raphael namedrops the same Moonlighters you were apart of? Was there any crossover between the two of you?
Commodore S-8
John Allison S-8
JB Frypan S-8
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

Great interview. Fascinating stuff
Thanks!
Larry Pogreba Baritone 'Weissenheimer
Lazy River mahogany standard Weiss
Lazy River ‘Tear Drop” weissenborn
Larrivee OM5
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Levi Gemmell wrote:Great episode, really enjoyed.

Mike: Not to derail the subject, am I right to assume to that Raphael namedrops the same Moonlighters you were apart of? Was there any crossover between the two of you?
I can give you the basic history as I was around and saw many of their gigs throughout the years.......

The original Moonlighters were founded by Bliss Blood, a Texas transplant who fronted the punk thrash band The Pain Teens, and Henry Bogden who was a bass player turned Hawaiian steel guitar player......they were joined by Carla Murray, guitar and vocals.....and Andrew Hall on bass.....I don't know the timeline of how long Henry was with The Moonlighters but he moved out to Oregon.....his spot was then taken over by Mike who was with them for a number of years........

At a certain point, Mike, Carla, and Andrew left.....I'm not sure if they all left at the same time, but if it wasn't,.....it was pretty close........Bliss then brought in Cindy Ball, a musician and actress on guitar and vocals, Mark Deffenbough on Dobro (I know next to nothing about him), and a bass player who I don't remember his name......I think Mark was with them for a year and then left.....this is when Raphael took the steel seat.....since Mark Deffenbough was between Mike & Raphael, it seems that there was no crossover but of course Mike can answer that accurately as well as anything that I may have gotten wrong......
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

I enjoyed listening to this interview. So cool to hear how Raphael approaches the steel guitar. Thanks for posting this.
Chuck
Matt Perpick

Post by Matt Perpick »

Thanks all. Appreciate it!