Clinesmith Tone Bar!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Clair Milanovich

Clinesmith Tone Bar!

Post by Clair Milanovich »

I've had a couple days with my new tone bar and here's the report.
Background: about 12 or 13 years ago I got to where I could play a respectable not fancy Blue Hawaii and San Antonio Rose and then life happened.

Now, after stroke damaged my left hand which forced me to put down the uke, the accordion, and the piano, I have resuscitated the steel guitar, which I love. But this time around my left hand will not cooperate in hanging on to the bar for very long in a reliable playing position.

So I read everything I could find on tone bars and decided on the Clinesmith polymer bar. What hooked me was the "easier to hang onto" part of the advertising.

WOW it is absolutely true!!! I almost couldn't believe it. My other bars are bullets and rail bars.
Additionally, the sustain IS a bit longer and overall a cleaner sound.
Just wanted to call more attention to something that is a really good product!!
(Note: I am doing my re-learning on my beautiful National Dynamic.)

Thank you Todd Clinesmith.
desperate and passionate beginner
John Keefe

Post by John Keefe »

Hello Clair,

I admire that you are persevering with the steel guitar.

I have some grip trouble, too, and will check out the space-age Clinesmith.

Here's something else you might try. I forget where I saw this, but the great Don Helms advised using a Dobro style bar -- perhaps what you poetically call a railroad bar -- and tricking out the grip with Velcro (the softer part, I suppose). I've not tried it myself but figure I will need to someday.

Bon courage, as the French like to say.

John Keefe
New York City
Clair Milanovich

Hi John--
The velcro on a rail bar sounds good; I've got a couple of them -- one I really like-- a Shubb SP1.

And getting older is interesting -- as Bette Davis said: "old age is not for sissies".

thanks much for passing on that info.

cheers!
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Clair, I too had a stroke affecting my left side, and my bar grip isn't quite as strong as before. I switched to Michael Hillman's powder coated bars and have been happy with those, warmer to the touch, good sustain, less string noise, easier to hold than my BJS bars (which is still the gold standard, imho). He runs good specials on most holidays, so find him here on the forum with a name search. They come in sizes and colors, too. I use the standard size (⅞") in white.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

When I lived in the US, I found that the dry air of winter, and dry hands, affected bar grip. A non- greasy skin cream helped.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
Clair Milanovich

Hi John M.
Ordered a Hillman bar thanks to you -- will try anything that I think might help!!
Ordered 1 but getting lagniappe with a 2nd bar for only $15!

Will report back when I have it!

Thanks!
Clair Milanovich

Sorry for the delay but I've been under the weather for the last week. The Hillman bars came and I am happy to report that it too is very comfortable to hang on to and also quiet. It is also a bit heavier than the Clinesmith -- there may be differences (slight) that I am too inexperienced to detect -- but I am a happy camper with two great tone bars that I can van safely say are great for me!
Mike Harris

clinesmith bars

Post by Mike Harris »

Does anyone know why there is no weight listed for the 1-inch bars on Clinesmith's website? It's the only one with no weight listed.

I have emailed Todd (twice) and have had no response (a week or more ago). I want to buy a bar but need to know what I'm buying.

thanks.
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

Since it seems apropos

Rocky Mountain Slides
https://rockymountainslides.com/
Have solved a similar problem. Slides are made of stone, highly polished, with some heft (less than steel bullets) way more easily gripped for me. I always used rail bars, wanted to get the hang of a bullet’s versatility… but did nothing but drop those steel bullets.. the stone has great tone and is well gripped and purty!

Got 3 (they always seem to ship an extra). I will often play a bit and then grab a fresh, cooler bar midway.
Larry Pogreba Baritone 'Weissenheimer
Lazy River mahogany standard Weiss
Lazy River ‘Tear Drop” weissenborn
Larrivee OM5
Bill Eisele

Post by Bill Eisele »

My teacher recommended wrapping rubber bands around the grip part of the dobro style bar like the Shubb SP1. It really helps with holding onto those kinds of bars.