Suggestions for a 10 string A tuning?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Brendan Mitchell

Suggestions for a 10 string A tuning?

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

I think the title says it all , don’t know what I’m chasing, maybe an A6 tuning to put on the front of my D10. No pedals at this stage and maybe string gauge suggestions.
Paul Seager

Post by Paul Seager »

In my wonderful world of fantasy tunings and "If I had just one my string...", for a 10 str., I think I would consider retaining standard A6 on strings 1-8 and add a D# and B on 9 & 10. Then you have a B11 on 5 - 10.

B11 compliments A6 and I recommend all to try it!

I have a D8 and use A6 on the main neck and an extended B11 (adding a G# and E on 7 & 8 ) on neck 2. I guess technically that makes it an E Maj 13.
Joe A. Roberts

Post by Joe A. Roberts »

This would be a great setup if you are already used to A6th hi-to-lo:

F#
E
C#
A
F#
E
C#
A
F#
A (low)

So, standard A6th in the middle 8, with a high F# on top and a low A on the bottom.
I really like the F# string up there on A6th and especially B11th tunings, very pretty.
Of course you can get the same inversion on the lower strings further up the neck, but the sound and utility is just not the same, of course.
The low A string can be really fun to use.
I believe Herb Remington used a low A like that.

With this tuning, you could also tune up the two lowest A strings to B and drop the middle E string to D# to have a really fat B11th tuning!
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'd probably use the standard 8 string A6 tuning with and out of order B on top and a D on the bottom. And then tune the whole thing down to G. But that would be for me, not you.

B
E
C#
A
F#
E
C#
A
F#
D
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

The Alkire tuning is a great tuning if you play or want to play E9th pedal steel. The chords positions are the same and the AB 4 chord changes are available on the same fret.

Bass to treble: C# E F F# G G# A B C# E

no other tuning gives you the chordal possibilities.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Keith Glendinning

10 String A6 tuning

Post by Keith Glendinning »

Try to contact Dom Franco.
He uses extended A6 tunings up to 13/14 strings and may have some suggestions for you.
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Thankyou everyone, lots to think about there