What is the easiest way to disengage pulls on E9th neck ?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Lenhart

What is the easiest way to disengage pulls on E9th neck ?

Post by Larry Lenhart »

I have a D10 and the RKL lowers the 3rd string on the C6th, which I want....but it also raises the 1st string of the E9th and lowers the 6th string on the E9th...that is not anything I ever use. What is the best way to get rid of those changes on the E9th neck...with them the knee lever action is harder than I like and I figured in part it is due to the additional strain from the E9th changes.

What is the best way to get rid of those changes on the E9th...back off the tuners on those strings at the changer end ?

I hope this makes sense..I have never been into working on a steel guitar...no interest to me...thanks in advance for advise.
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Yes, it could be as easy as backing off the tuners. But it depends on what guitar. On some, too much slack on the rod could cause it fall out of the bellcrank. In such a case, I'd remove the rod entirely. And in fact, to redeuce loose and rattling things, I might be inclined to remove the rod in any situation.

Obviously, if you think that you might have a change of mind on those E9 changes, and if your rod/bellcrank construction is not a 'fall out of the bellcrank' situation, then just backing off the tuning nut is your best solution.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Check the bell cranks under the guitar, If the guitar pull rods are attached by screws or clips to the bell cranks. Loosening the nylon tuners will be a quick fix.

If the guitar has what is commonly called Comb Bell Cranks, Where a rod will move in the comb if loosened, And can and will rattle if nylon tuner is loosened. The rod and nylon tuner needs to be removed.

Before you remove any pull rods or nylon tuners. Make a drawing with Changer Hole and Bell Crank hole or slot, For each rod removed, So you can replace the rods and tuners if wanted, Attach drawing to rod and Nylon tuner, Keep in a secure place for later replacement.

Good Luck and Happy Steelin.