Goodrich Omni passive or active preference

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Marty Holmes

Goodrich Omni passive or active preference

Post by Marty Holmes »

What does everyone prefer to use on the Goodrich Omni pedal just curious and why.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Funny. I bought it for its active features -- especially the unique ones: it can run on a battery AND it can transform from active to passive with the push of a button (I cannot abide the idea of an active pedal that is rendered useless by damage to or forgetting to bring a power supply. Not a criticism of anything. Just a personal hangup).

But I put a battery in it when I got it, the battery died, I switched to passive and....that's all I ever use now.
It's an expensive passive pedal but it's a good pedal and I've always got 'active' as an option.

I use a Freeloader and run thru buffered fx so the active part becomes even less needed. But it's there.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Jon Light wrote:...it can run on a battery AND it can transform from active to passive with the push of a button...But I put a battery in it when I got it, the battery died....
Unless I'm mistaken, the unit is turned on by inserting a plug into the input jaqck, so you can't leave your guitar plugged into it all the time when you're in the active (battery) mode.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I also run mine in the passive mode.
Erv
Justin Shaw

Post by Justin Shaw »

I have one but haven't noticed a big difference between the modes yet. My understanding was that it's mostly another button to try if you're in a venue with dodgy wiring and you can't find where the hum is coming from. Maybe I'm wrong though.

At home it's not clear to me how much it matters. Nice pedal though.
Dale McPherson

Post by Dale McPherson »

I use the active mode because my regular pedal is a Telonics.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Donny is correct - when the power supply is inserted the battery is disconnected. If you leave the instrument cable plugged in to the input w/o the power cable plugged in- you have roughly 1,000 hours until the battery drops below 8.5 volts. The active part basically allows a small pre-amp in the pedal to help negate the negative effects that most cables bring to the dance- that is removal of some frequencies that a lot of us find desirable. One caveat is that using the active side is(other than the Fletcher-Munson Curve dictating that we hear more low and high frequencies as the gain increases- a human ear phenomenon) the active pedal tends to stabilize the frequencies regardless of the gain. Some folks miss hearing the frequency changes w the active pedal and prefer the passive mode- with the OMNI you have a choice.