stacked pedals?

For people who build steel guitars

Moderator: J D Sauser

Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I applaud your looking at new or reviving old ideas. Just because something wasn't popular in earlier times, doesn't mean it's not plausible.

Stacked pedals, whether popular or not, have been proven to be viable and workable at least for Al Petty and some of the others mentioned. I'm only familiar with Al's setup as I've heard him play it several times.

It doesn't matter if others find it impractical as long as it works for you.

Here, there seems to be something of a "mother hen" mentality mostly with honest intent to prevent others from making the same mistakes they may have made.

It's annoying, however, when one asks about a particular issue only to get patronizing replies such as "why would you want to do that"?

I get it. I'm of the mind that we're all adults here. Trial and error, sometimes a big error, is how we learn. Nothing is lost except time and money if it doesn't work and perhaps some knowledge is gained by the experience.

I generally just proceed on my own v. seeking advice here for the reasons mentioned.

I like doing things out of the accepted norm and not always following precedent. One person's vision might be totally opposite another.

Good luck. Keep posted if you follow the idea.
Tim Toberer

Post by Tim Toberer »

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix1 ... etty_1.jpg Here is one I hadn't seen before. If anyone out there has one of these unicorns it would be amazing to see more detailed pictures. I am curious what happened to the Vance Terry's Sierra? I can't see anyone else being able to play that one. It should be in a museum.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Tim. Don’t let anyone dissuade you from doing whatever you want to try.
Landon Jarrel

Post by Landon Jarrel »

Tim Toberer wrote:
Doug Beaumier wrote:
I have no experience with E9 or standard C6 and I don't really see myself going that direction.
You can put any tuning on a 10-string pedal steel guitar and you can triple raise or lower any string.
The tuning I use requires at least 4 pedals, but 8 makes it fully chromatic.
A single-neck 10-string PSG with 3 pedals and 5 knee levers will give you the 8 changes you need to make your tuning "fully chromatic".

I would say, sell the 8-string and buy a 10-string. That seems a lot easier than trying to "Rube Goldberg" something together for your 8-string, unless you enjoy tinkering with mechanical things.
I am well aware of the capabilities of the modern 10 string pedal steel. If it isn't obvious, yes I enjoy building and tinkering. While my skills are nowhere near some of the brilliant builders on this forum I am happy to share the same space and believe that at least some people find my efforts inspiring. I find that comparing my instrument to some kind of Pee Wee Herman type machine(RIP) insulting. Your comments say more about you than they do about me.
I personally agree with Tim's methodology because I find it amazing when people come up with unique tunings, copendents, instruments, and ways to play the music they believe in; this keeps the instrument alive and breathing. Congratulations, Tim!