Silvertone Pedal Steel??

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gerry Brown

Silvertone Pedal Steel??

Post by Gerry Brown »

Did Silvertone ever produce (or market) a pedal steel guitar? I know they made (or marketed) lap steels. Recently at a pawn shop I saw what looked to be a psg body with no legs, rods, or pedals. Looked like a TrueTone pickup. It was displayed in the window and I didn't inspect it closely. Body looked to be natural originally but darkeded over time. It had a braided inlay around the top of the body. Sorry I didn't get photos. The guy knew nothing about it but thought it was a silvertone lap steel. Any clues? Could this be something to pick up for a restoration project?
Williams 700 S-10 Fessenden SD-10 Quilter Tone Block 202 Taylor 414 CE
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Braided inlay . . . could it be an old MSA?

Yes, a photo or 2 would be good. I would think the pawn shop guy would be interested in what's in his window.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

I'd be willing to bet Silvertone never made a PSG.
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

No, there were never any Sivertone pedal steels. (Silvertone was a brand created by Sears, once the catalog/retail giant in the United States.) All the guitars and steels in the Silvertone line were made by Harmony, Kay, Danelectro, Supro/Valco or Teisco, and Teisco is the only one of them that ever made a pedal steel. However, Sears probably didn't pursue them as they weren't very well made, and had little popularity. (This was back in the day when Sears carried high-quality merchandise.)
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Sears Roebuck in its heyday sold every item imaginable including motorcycles, farm equipment, and livestock (even offered an automobile at one time, a rebadged 'Henry J' if I recall).
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

You could buy a pre-cut house through Sears. :whoa:
Erv
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Erv Niehaus wrote:You could buy a pre-cut house through Sears. :whoa:
Erv

:lol: LOL- with free shipping ?
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Too bad they didn't make a pedal steel guitar. Just imagine having an amplifier built into it's case.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.