Lightweight (or lighter weight) Pedal Steel?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Roden

Lightweight (or lighter weight) Pedal Steel?

Post by Bob Roden »

Just curious -- I bought my last pedal steel over 40 years ago, so haven't really followed how newer models have developed.

Now I am in the process of parting with my long-time instrument, in large part because at my advancing age I no longer want to move around anything so heavy.

(It's an MSA single 12 -- listed currently in the classifieds, if you're interested.)

So I'm just wondering -- in these ensuing decades (i.e., since the 70s), has anything in the way of a lighter-weight pedal steel come along?

Thanks,
Bob
Craig Robson

Post by Craig Robson »

I have a Justice Pro-Lite that weighs about 43 pounds in the case. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I also moved on from a couple old MSAs and I really appreciate the lighter weight. I think there are a pretty good number of lighter guitars in production now.
Justice Pro-Lite, GFI Expo D-10, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Boss Katana
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

If you're transporting it anywhere make sure you consider the weight of the case. Some cases are 12 pounds or so lighter than others.

My Excel S-12 Guitar in the case weighs 38.8 pounds, case weighs 12.2 pounds and the guitar weights 26.6 pounds. It's got a lot of extra hardware on it so if you got an S-12 E9th it would be lighter.

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%20D13 ... yless.html
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Short answer, YES, Stage One ,Encore and probably a few more. Very lite weight , typically E9th 3+4. I owned a Stage One for a while , used it on a few shows where we had little to no set up time between acts, get on stage then get the heck off stage :) in hind site I should have kept it.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

GFI's are light. SD-10 is 30lbs. S-12 in the same range.

GFI cases are not light. SD-10 case is 17lbs. If I were still playing out I would get a different case (or two piece).
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

I have an Excel similar to Greg's and I also have an S12 Willams; the actual guitar is as light as the Excel but the case is a good deal heavier. Definitely something to take into account.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Justin Shaw

Post by Justin Shaw »

I have an Excel universal that is nice and light weight (not sure the actual lbs). It came with a wheeled, fitted flight case. So not just light, but you are rolling it instead of carrying it most of the time!
Justin Shaw

Post by Justin Shaw »

I have an Excel universal that is nice and light weight (not sure the actual lbs). It came with a wheeled, fitted flight case. So not just light, but you are rolling it instead of carrying it most of the time!
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Here's where a Hatton case is the answer...my Williams is light, the case was a ton...now the combo is light...
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

As we get older, Light gig guitars become a way of life.

I gigged a MSA S10 4&4 for years, Weighed about 65lb. in it original case. At about my 70th birthday. I said, "I need to go lighter". I got a chance to get a GFI S12 Keyed Universal 7&4, 49lb in original case. I now also have a GFI S12 7&5 keyless Universal that is smaller and lighter too.

A few months ago my 85lb MSA D10 8&5 left home too. It now has a new home in Ohio.
Alan Struthers

Another lighter guitar

Post by Alan Struthers »

Bob,
In an announcement a few entries ahead of yours, Fuzzy (Mitsui, Excel brand) is offering an E9 that weighs about 22 lbs called the Robostar. I've go a U12 Excel Exstar and it is relatively light and a beautiful instrument that produces a beautiful tone, so I would feel confident ordering one.
Alan
Gettin' better . . .
Excel ExSTAR U12, Mullen Royal Precision D-10, Sho-Bud Pro II Custom D10, GFI Student Model, Peavy Nashville 112, Fender Princeton, Gibson RB-3, Gold Tone dobro, Martin D-28, and other stuff
Steve Mueller

Post by Steve Mueller »

My new Williams wide body S12 4 X 5 extended E9 weighs 25 lbs. In the case it's 41 lbs. If you get Kevin Hatton to make split cases, you could lighten up even more. It's a lot of guitar for 25 lbs, and beautiful too with laquer body and neck. Service from Bill Rudolph is tops. You need parts, advice, etc? Call and he answers the phone. Try that with Mitsuo.
2016 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2015 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2023 Williams S12 4 x 5, Milkman Amps, 1974 Gibson Byrdland