Clint Black psg player

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Spires

Post by David Spires »

Jeff Peterson is a great player. I haven't run into him for years, and hope he is doing well.

I haven't seen Clint carry steel in many years...

David Spires
2021 MSA Legend XL 10&7; Asher Electro-Hawaiian Junior Lap Steel; '79 OMI Dobro 66 w/ Scheerhorn cone and setup; '64 Hand-wired Re-issue Fender Princeton Reverb
Mark Dershaw

Post by Mark Dershaw »

I took some lessons from Jeff back in the late 70's. He was living in the Houston area then. He is responsible for my right hand technique. When I was taking lessons from him, I had ordered a new Emmons from Herb Remington. When I got it, I think Jeff was as excited as I was.
Jeff Peterson

Post by Jeff Peterson »

Boy, this has been a long time comin'....better late than never!
Yes, 1988(early), to 2008(late) I was with Clint.
I was not in a band with Hayden until I met Clint. I did a bunch of 'pick-up' dates in Houston with Jake Willemain and Dick Gay.
I was pretty much the only player at that time who was working steady in the local studios..Sugar Hill, Soundmasters, and had worked extensively with Bill Holford and Andy Bradley, Hughy Meaux and many great players...Randy Cornor, Paul English, Rick Richards, Eric(earache)Avinger..and many, many more. (BTW, I gave that nickname to Eric, along with the collective chant--Get More Gobos, quick!!!)
Just one of the great artists we played with was Mark Chesnutt. A.V. Middlstadt gave the room a 5 minute break while I came up with an intro for 'Too Cold at Home'.
Later Paul Franklin massaged my intro into what we all hear now as just a wonderful intro, but kept much of my original idea...again, Thanks Paul!
Now, the first video for 'Better Man' was played on an original MCI because my Emmons was crushed under the gear truck. I contacted Herb Remington to see what I could replace it with while I waited for a new guitar from Ron Lashley.
Bless Herb's heart, he sold me that 9 + 6 MCI for $400 and saved me. It took awhile to get the new Emmons, so I ended up playing it for, don't know exactly, at least a few weeks.
Years later, I was helping Bobby Seymour out at Steel Guitar Nashville during a break from the tour, and ended up selling that MCI to somebody who popped into the shop. I dunno if he's on the forum or not but he's got that little life-saver!
It was not a bad sounding guitar, but I sure missed my Emmons...which landed in the parts bin..such a shame as it was a fantastic sounding push-pull.
Last edited by Jeff Peterson on 18 Sep 2023 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Clint Black now carries steel again-the steel player is Wesley Fowler, playing an Emmons ReSound '65
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Great story Jeff.
Ronald Heinzel

Post by Ronald Heinzel »

Clint Black’s steel player is Wes Fowler. I sold him an amp a couple years ago and we kept in touch. He’s Clint’s cousin
Emmons D10 LL, Mullen S-10 Quilter Steelaire Nashville 112, Gretsch White Falcon, USA Strat & Tele, 68 Hummingbird, Taylor 410 CE, AcoustasonicJr. Blues Jr.
Vic Lawson

Clint Black psg player

Post by Vic Lawson »

We played a show with them a month or so back and I got to hear and visit with Wesley for a while. Great player and very nice man! Glad to see Clint using Steel again!
Rittenberry Steel Guitars, Eminence Speakers, Milkman Amplifiers, GHS strings,Lava Cables,