My New Williams

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill McCloskey

My New Williams

Post by Bill McCloskey »

My new Williams D10 9x8 with split cases. One year almost to the day of ordering. It is truly breathtakingly beautiful.

Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

It's lovely, Bill!!!

NOW I see the 9 KLs. I love those bell-cranks - they look easy to work on.

Can you share the set-up? I'd love to know what all those pedals and knees are doing!

Congratulations!
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Here you go Roger:
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Josh Rossow

Post by Josh Rossow »

Man that’s a nice one Bill, a thing of beauty, congrats! 🎉
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

That wood on front looks like a truly select piece of lumber. Quite a striking looking guitar!
Mathew Peluso

Post by Mathew Peluso »

That’s a beautiful Williams, Bill! What pickups did you go with?
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Thanks, Bill.

No B to Bb on E9? I'm also intrigued by your C6th LL. Is this a replica of someone else's setup?

C6th's LKR, RKL and RKR look standard, though. Pedal 8 (9) - it looks like you engage P9 and LL to get the standard P8 pulls.

Very interesting. I look forward to hearing something from you!

For me, B to Bb is arguably my most-used E9 KL but that's subjective.

Good idea having the compensators on the F#s!
Last edited by Roger Rettig on 3 Sep 2023 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Roger, yes this is Paul Franklin's copedent. A year ago I didn't know what I wanted so, since i was taking Paul's course, I just had them do his copedant.

Nicest sounding and playing guitar I've ever owned. So easy to play. I'm still figuring out the C6 neck.

Mathew, I think they are Bob Hoffner's tonealigners. It has been a year since we ordered it

Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Understood, Bill.

Paul's C6th is a little different from standard, though, so you'll need to adapt any C6 teaching material you might acquire. PF's P4 & 5 are definitely unusual but his P6,7,8 are identical to a standard C6th's 5,6 & 7. That's where 90% of stuff is found on that neck (in my opinion),

I like the look of where the strings' ball-ends attach to the changer - way easier than that cursed pin on my Emmons.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Roger, I have to tell you, I have never played a better steel. Mechanically this is the smoothest easiest to play steel I've ever owned. Every thing plays like butter. There will be a lot of altering teaching materials for sure, but I create all my own chord and scale charts anyway using Google Sheets.

I'm considering selling all my other steels and just focus on this one, that is how happy I am with it. Well worth the year wait.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I think that's wise. There are many lifetimes of study in your D10 alone and, by bringing your organizational skills to bear, you'll make good headway.

I know I'm a little crazy opting for the D13th but, when I first heard of the notion, I was (and I'm still) intrigued. I still have MUCH to learn on the guitar I already have!
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I like the look of where the strings' ball-ends attach to the changer - way easier than that cursed pin on my Emmons.
Roger, it’s one of those things where it is so sensible and practical you can’t believe nobody else thought of it before. That and the the angle that the string breaks over the top of the finger I’m sure has something to do with the sound, and esp the longevity of string life. I don’t even know what that material is that the strings rest on over the top of the finger, but it keeps the “zing” away too. One of the many selling points for me when I decided on a Williams.

Love the color too, Bill. And I couldn’t agree with you more about the playability. Playing steel on a Williams is FUN!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

That's great news, Fred - I can't WAIT to have fun playing the steel!!! :)
Rich Arnold

Post by Rich Arnold »

Nice!
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Beautiful steel Bill, It has a nice classic look to it as well.
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days