Do All Emmon's Push Pull have "that sound?"

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Tyson

Post by Rick Tyson »

Man I love it when the big dogs are showin thier teeth & fighting,,
cause a little dog like me can sneak in & steal a few bones of knowledge Image
Come on ,,someone throw em another bone,, Im learning a lot here about steels (no pun intended)I would say these guys know what thier talking about & I respect them both,,,so keep it up guys,,sick,em boy !!
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

If your old PP is sounding a little tired and lifeless? You too can have "That timbre" For rushed delivery just send 29.95.Make check or money order to Bobby's PP repair and used tires.Or call 555-BRB-549 Operators are standing by.Don't let a dead PP cost you another session.This offer want last long and is in no way affiliated with Bobbe Seymour or Steel Guitar Nashville.Offer void where prohibited.
Wayne Cox

Post by Wayne Cox »

BOBBE, maybe now would be the right time to ask if you have an Orange P-P for sale,cheap?
~~W.C.~~ Image
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

This thead is so intriguing that I had to jump in.
Bobbe - Thanks for the plug.
Johnny - As one of the "gentlemen" mentioned by Bobbe I'm not offended at all by your comments. I did do a session recently, a whole album, in fact. It's selling down on Broadway like hotcakes. Cold hotcakes! I used a "not keeping up with the times" P/P that you've played a few times, sounding mellifluous.

Cheers, all.

C#<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Cal Sharp on 12 June 2003 at 01:54 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

Q: Do all Emmons P/P have that sound?
A: Only if they are black!

Didn't we all know this allready?

Uffe
Bruce W Heffner

Post by Bruce W Heffner »

On one of the last sessions the "Maestro" had on his "Q&A" forum he gave us a great tip on an adjustment to push pull guitars that effects the sound. I remember running out to my shop to verify the "method", as always he was correct. I am sure that post is still availiable. Image

Bruce W

------------------

www.pedalsteel.net
David Mullis

Post by David Mullis »

How about a link? Enquiring minds wanna know Image Mine is going to be 100% when I get it back, but I'd still like to know what the adjustment was.
Joan Cox

Post by Joan Cox »

I probably may wish I hadn't, but I would like to make a comment if I may without getting blasted or having a problem with anyone. Johnny did play an Emmons PP from time to time when he was with Ernest Tubb for about a year before he got his first Zum in December of 1979. My first D10 guitar was a 1972 Emmons PP. It warped, and was not playable. I changed brands to a Zum in 1982. We both agree that the Emmons PP is a fine guitar, but we have both chosen to play something else, just as I'm sure many of you have during your years of playing.
Joan <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joan Cox on 12 June 2003 at 08:30 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

I've been told tightening the screws that holds the necks and changer can make a difference.More body contact.Maybe Bobbe really got the idea from Ann.But I wouldn't know. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 12 June 2003 at 10:22 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Bobby Boggs, I'll clear up two statements you just made, First off, the name of my Emmons P-P service is: "The First National Morgue and Delicatesen". And the other question is, who is Ann?

(you are a nut Mr. Boggs!)

Your buddy, Bobbe
Rick Tyson

Post by Rick Tyson »

From what Ive been reading, thightening the changer bolts really makes a difference in timbre on the Emmons??
Well I just got the old pipe wrench out & pulled my guts out on my Emmons changer bolts.
Funny, it still sounds just like my Carter.
Theres a bone for ya Image
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Just don't try the pipe wrench thing on the Carter. Image
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

Hey C#, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that me playing your PP at the prison rodeo in Huntsville Texas? Good to hear from you.

Dumplin
Rick Tyson

Post by Rick Tyson »

Ya got me on that one Bobby LOL Image
I just like to spread a little humor on these threads about tone & sound.
Really got to watch what ya say about tone between models of steels,,,,can get a dog fight goin in no time.
I have a Carter & an Emmons & I love them both because they both have that sound Image
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Rick,glad you found the humor in my post.I learned a long time ago that the tone thing is way to subjective to argue about.The Emmons PP tone is my all time favorite.But I like others also.-----------bb<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 12 June 2003 at 08:55 PM.]</p></FONT>
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Dumplin-

Yeah, that's my guitar. Remember they wouldn't let us take the buses in the prison, so getting equipment in was a hassle and we both played my guitar. BTW, Mike Cass & I came down to see you at the Station Inn a few weeks ago but we got there too early and we went to Robert's to kill some time and Mike got sick so we didn't make it back. But I'll see ya sometime,

Cal
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Cal, this isn't the question, the question is, " How did you guys get back OUT of prison?" ( Ha! )

And thanks for loaning me someone elses coat in Wisconsin, when you were with Faron and I was with Paycheck! That coat kept me from freezing!
Talk about steel players helping each other out! Thank the Lord!!!
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Bobbe -

We weren't too worried about getting out, just a little concerned about Faron, who had smuggled in a bottle of whiskey!

And, hey, you can borrow my band jacket anytime. :-)>

C#<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Cal Sharp on 13 June 2003 at 08:32 AM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Hey, Cal ! If Lester Flatt had a brother named Bobbe, we could call him Bb !! That's where it's at.....

Regards, Paul Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 13 June 2003 at 09:13 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 13 June 2003 at 10:12 AM.]</p></FONT>
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

C# and Dumplin'
Of course that's (forumite) Pete Mitchell on guitar standing stage left from JC.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Bobbe, I hope you have all your adjustment and tuneup secrets written down somewhere - just in case you get caught in one of those micro downdrafts or whatever in your plane someday. Image
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

here's my one cent worth: i've heard close as i can come to 'that' sound from my zum with the stock pickup recording direct into the board, also with the zum with an old emmons pickup. also from my old wood neck/body emmons with the stock pickup and with the zum pickup. i've also spent nights with all these configurations when i couldn't get a tone i could stand at all and it made me feel like a loser all night long. my third steel, a fat back emmons (also wood neck/body) with split coil pickups seems to have that warm growling acid-tinged tone more naturally than the others...but i think it's mostly in your fingers and ears, and the louder you have to play, the worse it is...and if your not tuned well enough to relax and pick without thinking, it never sounds good. also, i've beat myself up all night when it sounds sucky to me...and people i trust have told me the tone was perfect out front...but i couldn't tell 'cause i wasn't there!
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

I have an interesting question, How long do you have to leave a Emmons P-P in a hot band trailer in the St. Louis sunshine in the summer before it warps? I just got a very interesting e-mail from someone that saw it happen many years ago. I bet there is someone here that knows.
I wonder how long any other guitar would last under those conditions, I wonder how long a composite,fibre glass or plastic guitar would hold up. How many of you leave your guitar in a band trailer for three days or more at a time? I think I'll do some testing. How 'bout the trunk of a car? In the summer?
Bruce W Heffner

Post by Bruce W Heffner »

There isn't anything that comes close to the push pull sound. Part of it is the positve stops.

It isn't the pickups.

Bruce W

------------------

www.pedalsteel.net