Where to put a fry pan volume knob???

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Nathan Laudenbach

Where to put a fry pan volume knob???

Post by Nathan Laudenbach »

I got my spot in line for a Clinesmith frypan lap steel. Im undecided on where to put the volume knob. On top , bass side seems out of the way. Iv seen some put a knob on the side of the instrument, treble side of the body and that seems to be more accessible without having to move the picking hand much. Any frypan owners care to comment on the volume knob placement? Much appreciated.
Levi Gemmell

Post by Levi Gemmell »

On top, treble-side is the only option for me. Put it anywhere else and you're removing the ability to make volume swells with your pinky while you pick.

Of course, you may use a volume pedal to achieve the same effect. As someone who plays Hawaiian, it's not just the tone of the frypan but the simplicity of it that appeals - and being able to do it by hand instead of with a pedal is essential for me.
Commodore S-8
John Allison S-8
JB Frypan S-8
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

I put the volume on the treble side as well. Also with volume swells in mind. Currently I’m preparing for a Hank Williams gig and think a tone on the table side would be useful. But I’m happy with the way it is.
Steffen Gunter

Post by Steffen Gunter »

I chose the stacked pot on the treble side. Lower part is volume and upper ring for tone. This works good for me.
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

If you use it for “boo-wahs” (ala Jerry Byrd), put the tone pot where you can grab it with your pinky.
Mine is the fifth long scale fry pan that Todd made. We went back and forth over knob placement and ended up with this (tone on treble side):
It works perfectly, I love this guitar.