Help With Fender Champ Steel (/w Pics)

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Justin Klapa

Help With Fender Champ Steel (/w Pics)

Post by Justin Klapa »

Hey folks,

First timer here with some questions for the pros. I recently decided to try and learn lap steel. I've got a good number of years with guitar and banjo so I figured this can't be too hard... right?!

Anyway, I just picked up a Fender Champ lap steel and have some questions. First thing that comes to attention is the lack of Fender logo/decal and no sign that there ever was one. The ONLY other example I could find was from this Folkway Music Listing. https://www.folkwaymusic.com/museum/res ... steel-1217.

The bridge plate serial reads -01952
The pickup resistance is 5.59k Ohms
Tuners are stamped "Kluson Deluxe" under the tuner plate.
Electronics look to be original. Astron capacitor, Switchcraft jack.
No other markings on the body.

What can be said about the ole gal? Looking for approximate date, why it wouldn't have a Fender logo, desirability of this arrangement of components vs other years of the Champ, is the case original, and anything else you'd care to share!

Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

1957, the decal probably flaked off. Looks all original, including case.
Justin Klapa

Post by Justin Klapa »

Glenn Wilde wrote:1957, the decal probably flaked off. Looks all original, including case.
Thanks for the response! Did Fender stuff whatever Strat bridge pickup of the era in these or was it specifically made for the Champ?
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

There's no way to date it exactly, but both the pots are from '56 so that gives an earliest bracket.

The pickup is essentially a Strat pickup with the poles shoved down under the cover. It was also used on the Mustang, Musicmaster and Duo-Sonic guitars.
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Man, that thing sure is clean. Was that how it was when you bought it or did you clean it up....the guts look brand new.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Noah Miller wrote:There's no way to date it exactly, but both the pots are from '56 so that gives an earliest bracket.

The pickup is essentially a Strat pickup with the poles shoved down under the cover. It was also used on the Mustang, Musicmaster and Duo-Sonic guitars.
They sound different... it is a Musicmaster pickup, Strat pickups have longer pole pieces. Great guitar, I have one without the decal and one with, albeit crooked. Super to have a case, that adds considerably to the value... and the case is proper for mid-50's.

Change the tubing suspending the pickup, if any remains... fuel line from a hobby shop works well. Play it until it falls apart, which it never will... you'll always be able to get your money out of it.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Justin Klapa

Post by Justin Klapa »

Bill Groner wrote:Man, that thing sure is clean. Was that how it was when you bought it or did you clean it up....the guts look brand new.
This is the condition I got it in. Before I bought it I was skeptical of it being a refin or chop job but for the price I was willing to take the chance. Been a lot of fun to learn so far!
Justin Klapa

Post by Justin Klapa »

Stephen Cowell wrote:
Noah Miller wrote:There's no way to date it exactly, but both the pots are from '56 so that gives an earliest bracket.

They sound different... it is a Musicmaster pickup, Strat pickups have longer pole pieces. Great guitar, I have one without the decal and one with, albeit crooked. Super to have a case, that adds considerably to the value... and the case is proper for mid-50's.

Change the tubing suspending the pickup, if any remains... fuel line from a hobby shop works well. Play it until it falls apart, which it never will... you'll always be able to get your money out of it.
Thanks for the info regarding the pickup. Ya end up reading so much about the Champion broadcaster pickups that Champ info is pretty hard to come by in a search.

The pickup tubing is still in tact but has definitely lost its playability. Looks like a dang piece of chewed gum.
Garry Vanderlinde

Post by Garry Vanderlinde »

Do you have any pics of the back? Does it have the original green felt? If not, it may be a refin.
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

Stephen Cowell wrote:Strat pickups have longer pole pieces.
This is not exactly correct; the Musicmaster uses the shorter of the staggered pickups, but they do not poke out the cover. They tend to poke further out the base as a result, though, at least on vintage examples. If you stick them in a Strat they sound fairly similar - a bit weaker and warmer because the magnets are further from the strings, but in the same ballpark. The bobbins and winding are the same as a Strat.
Justin Klapa

Post by Justin Klapa »

Garry Vanderlinde wrote:Do you have any pics of the back? Does it have the original green felt? If not, it may be a refin.
No felt on the back nor any sign it was there. The finish definitely has some years on it, but doesn’t exhibit the nitro “checking” that you’d normally see (if these were originally even finished in that format).