Why Goodrich volume pedals?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jacob Yergert

Why Goodrich volume pedals?

Post by Jacob Yergert »

I've been a guitar player for about 15 years and most play Ernie Balls or Dunlop VPs. I've been looking at getting my first pedal steel and I see SO MANY Goodrich pedals, a brand I had never heard of in the electric guitar world.

Why? Should I swap out my Boss?
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

The axle position makes the sweep better for sitting at steel. Ernie Ball and Dunlop are better for standing up. I use Ball and Dunlop for my regular guitar and have several Goodrich for steel. Also the volume pot in Goodrich is a 500k ohm, the others use 250k. It makes a difference. That said you will find steel players using the EB pedals but I never seen a pro player use one. You decide what works for you.
Jacob Yergert

Post by Jacob Yergert »

Thanks, Larry, that makes sense!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Most of the Ernie Ball pedals have the jacks coming out the front of the pedal, that doesn't work to well for pedal steels.
However, there are some available with the side jacks.
Erv
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

And if you're handy and have a drill press you can relocate the jacks yourself. Ball pedals are good stuff and you can replace the pot with a 500. But the travel is wrong for sitting at the steel. But I know a couple guys who use it anyway.
Jack Tekiela

Post by Jack Tekiela »

Hey Jacob, I just started playing and one of the first things I did was hunt down a Goodrich. I was using my buddies Sho-Bud Professional II, and when I ran it through the Ernie Ball VP into my twin, it just took all the high end away. I've never been one to really care about pot values or whatever, but the jump from the EB to the Goodrich has been noticeable.
Jacob Yergert

Post by Jacob Yergert »

Thanks folks! I ordered one and its been a solid experience so far! Love having the two outputs as well, whether one is to a tuner or the other to a DI into the PC.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

You made a wise choice. I have about 5 sitting on various steels. I also have a couple Erie Ball and one Dunlop. You can get a bracket for the Goodrich that sits over the pedal bar. A nice accessory. I bought a few and made a couple.
Bruce Bouton

Post by Bruce Bouton »

I've used goodrich pedals for years, as i prefer passive pedals in the studio. They are solid and have great customer service.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Bruce, you mentioned their great customer service. That’s an understatement! My experience with them has been over the top outstanding. Best in the biz.