Older Excel pedal steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Kaufman

Older Excel pedal steel

Post by Joe Kaufman »

An older (I think) Excel D10 with 8 pedals and 5 knees has come up for sale semi-locally. I have been interested in the idea of a D10 (I have only played single necks). How does this compare to my single 12 Dekley thinline? The seller isn’t a player and can’t tell me the copedent but I could try to drive over and look at it if it is worth it. Thanks! Any advice on current prices for such a guitar?
Thanks!
He sent me these photos:

Image [/b]
Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

I believe TC Furlong had one just like that one it played good TC Furlong is on the forum

Pw
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

Thanks Paul. Any other advice?
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

That looks like a nice guitar. It looks like it's got 8+5, and I'm sure it has a modern undercarriage.

As long as it has enough pedals, pulls and levers, you should be able to re-arrange the copedant as necessary.

My bet would be that it's pretty standard Emmons, possibly Day which takes 10 min to switch. Do you have a photo of the underside? We could probably tell about the tuning how it's rodded - roughly.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy that - after checking it out. It's a beauty, the Black with those curly necks! Whew!

I wonder how old it is? The logo and the thick headstock looks older styles, but that body and the neck mounts (the aluminum bits) looks..not as old style. Might be from teh 80s or something?

Also, I'm sure you could get Mitsuo to sell you two new fingerboards, or even better, have those original ones refinished somehow.

Cool guitar!
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

I read your post again.

I'd ask for a photo of the underside, and if it looked OK (like not missing, broken, tangled of horrible messy) then I'd take a drive.

As far as price? If it was in good mechanical condition and ready to play, and came with a case, I'd take a rough guess that it might be worth $2k?

Add the fact that he can't tell you anything about it, the fingerboard delamination, case or no case..Work down from there.

Being an Excel, it should play well and be easy to work on. Parts can be a problem for old guitars, but it's nothing you couldn't take care of it you had to.

I guess the only way to tell if it's worn out, or misadjusted it to go play it!
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »