New Pedal Steel shop in Seattle

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

Well I guess that's how timing works... When we lived over there I avoided Seattle as MUCH as possible. And NOW having moved to the other side of the State, it appears there's FINALLY something worth going to Seattle for :( :? :cry: :wink: ;-)
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Andy DePaule

I was there and didn't know!

Post by Andy DePaule »

I was there and didn't know!
My son and I just two weeks ago had an 11 hour layover at SeaTac on the way to Saigon.
We thought of going into Seattle, but couldn't think of where to go.
Thought about going to see my friends at the Luthiers Guild in Tacoma, but then decided against it.
If I'd known about you I would have rented a car to come see your shop.
Going back through Seattle next week but only a two hour layover on the return to Springfield, OR.

Best of luck with your shop. The North West can sure use a Steel Guitar shop. :D
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Peter Wilson

Post by Peter Wilson »

Congrats from Kirkland - I'm looking forward to visiting when you are open.
Patrick Timmins

Post by Patrick Timmins »

Well, I'm open.

Just spent 4 days at the Wintergrass festival in Bellevue Washington at a public service booth among the vendors with 9 pedal steel guitars. Had to leave a few at home due to the restrictions of a minivan (which got a flat tire at the loading dock for the venue....). I'm beat. Lots of fun, but a lot of work. Just ordered pizza for the kids... Too tired to cook.

The organizer of the event (Bruce) named my booth, the "Pedal Steel Petting Zoo".

We had a little intro session teaching people the basics of pedal steel taught by John James Tourville of the Deslondes. https://www.deslondes.com/

Many thanks to John for teaching the workshop. He plays way better than me and a great guy to boot. His son had his 8th birthday the day before. This was the first stop on his tour.

I probably taught about 150 people how to play a 1, 4, 5, song on Pedal steel. I added the minor 3rd for people who need a little bit of sadness on top.

I had a huge amount of help from Damon Logan (who also probably taught at least 100 people how to play a 1,4,5, song). Damon is super enthusiastic about promoting pedal steel guitar.

Pat McHenry stopped by for a while to help out at the booth but he couldn't stay long since his band was the talent for the grand opening of a new "Boot Barn" in town. I don't know how much more country you can get than opening the new local Boot Barn.

Here is Damon teaching a potential pedal steel player the basics before the booth was technically open. I forgot to try to take pics when every steel was being played. Sounded like cats being strangled everywhere. :D

Met a couple of forum members that stopped by. So great to put faces to the names I see here on the forum.

My voice is shot for speaking for 4 days straight, but all in all, it was a great time!

My friend Damon has put together a website for me. Still a work in progress...

Gowestpedalsteelguitars.com

More to come!
Microphones, Recording, and lots of pedal steel guitars!
Bob Knetzger

Post by Bob Knetzger »

Really great to meet Patrick and see his set up of pedal steels at the Wintergrass bluegrass festival in Bellevue, Washington.

So great to have expert steel repair in my backyard! Glad to steer a friend Patrick’s way for help with knee levers for his ShoBud.

One unintentionally, funny coincidence was where Patrick’s booth was set up. Right next-door was the spinal health clinic booth. I guess it’s appropriate as he had a heavy double neck Emmons steel guitar along with his lighter weight single neck petting zoo.

Continued success, Patrick!

Eric Dahlhoff

Post by Eric Dahlhoff »

Wow Patrick! That Pedal Steel booth/workshop/Petting-Zoo looks great! What a FINE THING to be exposing people to PSG!!!
Super cool 8) 8) 8)

I sure hope to make it to Washington this year, and when I do I"ll visit your shop.
"To live outside the law you must be honest." (Bob Dylan)
Paul Brainard

Knee levers

Post by Paul Brainard »

Patrick, curious if you still have or can make some more of those "dog leg" knee levers from earlier in this thread? Sent you a PM. Look forward to seeing what you are up to up there sometime!
Matthew Murray

Post by Matthew Murray »

Would have loved to go, to bad I am just hearing about it now.
Patrick Timmins

Thanks guys!

I got your email Paul.

Every make is going to be a little different for making those dog legs. Also, fitting them to the person is required. We'd have to get together to get you fitted and make sure we can design a geometry that will still fold down nice and neat.

Any time Eric, as long as I'm around...

Patrick.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Glad the event was a success, Patrick! Sorry I couldn't be there to help you out, but glad you had competent help. Looking forward to the final fitting of my S-12 Zumsteel on March 12. • Guys, Patrick is a real whiz at pedal steel setups, I asked for everything AND the kitchen sink on my Zum, and dadgummit, I think he managed to shoehorn it all in. Super nice guy, to boot. • That little red ZB student model is just like my first pedal steel. I still remember the excitement of figuring out how to coax those magic sounds out of the machine!

E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Patrick Timmins

Man, I really need to learn to suck my gut in when the camera comes out....

Those old ZB student models sound incredible, just wish they played as easy as Emmons PP or modern guitars.

Thanks John!
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

Glad to see pedal steel guitar at the Wintergrass Festival. I played steel at Wintergrass for an eastern Washington bluegrass/folk/country local artist, Kevin Brown back about 10 years ago. I felt alone and out of place, just two dobro players there at that time in the jams, none on stage. Our set went well, but they sure looked at me like I was from another planet. Hopefully those bluegrasser's will start to except not only the dobro more, but steel.
Bryce Van Parys

Post by Bryce Van Parys »

I've seen a shift in the Wintergrass demographic over the past few years. Not so strict "Bill Monroe" bluegrass only anymore. There's more Western Swing, Django, and Cajun. Even the odd cello running around. I think as long as there aren't drums it's cool..
Bryce
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, Fender Deluxe 8 string

Double bass, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
Tommy Mc

Post by Tommy Mc »

I live on the east coast, but my daughter is in Seattle. She attended the festival and texted me a photo of the petting zoo.

1980 MSA Vintage XL S-10, 1975 Session 400
1972 Dobro model 66s
Derby SD-10
Tom McDonough
Landon Johnson

Post by Landon Johnson »

Hi,

I could use a second set of eyes on my Williams S-10 and my Justice SD-10 - both play very well in general but I have made some copedant changes to both and need some timing help. May need to raise the Willy an inch.

I work in Tacoma so not too far for me.

Thanks,

LJ
Justice ProLite, Williams S-10, Quilter TT-12.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Landon, Patrick Timmins is your guy, very excellent work and able to fabricate just about any part that might be needed. He did a full setup of my S12 7+6 Zum a few months ago.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Sam Werbalowsky

Post by Sam Werbalowsky »

Is the shop still open?
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Sam Werbalowsky wrote:Is the shop still open?
As far as I know. I talk to Patrick frequently, great guy to work with, a true blessing to the Pacific Northwest steel guitar tribe.
E9 INSTRUCTION
Patrick Timmins

Yup!
And enjoying it! Apologies if I missed any contacts as I was out on the East Coast for the last week and off the grid.
Bryce Van Parys

Post by Bryce Van Parys »

Definitely look up Patrick. He's excellent

Bryce
Bryce
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, Fender Deluxe 8 string

Double bass, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,