New Member - New Song

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Sherwood Everhart

New Member - New Song

Post by Sherwood Everhart »

Check out my song if you have a few minutes to spare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLxjmzzNaQE
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Hard to make sense of the song.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Steve Wilson

Post by Steve Wilson »

Jezz! Tough Room!

Welcome to the Forum, Sherwood. Very interesting song. Original? Thank for posting! Love the old D8 Fender with the traps.
Sherwood Everhart

Chris: I was hoping the math checked out on it but perhaps you're right :)

Steve: Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I wrote the song a few months ago. I've been writing a lot of songs for the lap steel over the past year or two. What more is there to life? :)
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Ah, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! :)
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

It wasn't clear what the chords were to the song. so I could latch on to your steel. Keep after it and I look forward to hearing more.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Joe A. Roberts

Post by Joe A. Roberts »

Cool tune, I suppose it does meander and I see where Chris is coming from but I like it!
However, it has a really prominent 4k+ hz hum that makes it very harsh to listen to, especially with headphones. It even gets louder at 1:10. Then really bad again with the armpit guitar solo.
I also think the acoustic guitar backing is way to loud and the steel too quite, so I find myself turning the volume up to hear the steel better, but then the hum is just too brutal.

What does "curves in the aspect" mean?
Sherwood Everhart

Yeah, I need to step up my recording skills - wish I knew more about it. Any ideas on how to reduce the hum? The title comes from something I read out of an astrology book years ago, not that I know anything more about it than the avg. Joe
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

Welcome to the forum! There’s some good stuff happening there, Sherwood, but as some of the others mentioned, the mix could use a little fine tuning. A little less acoustic guitar, a bit more steel would help. What recording software are you using?

— The best advice I got on mixing is to turn things down if you want to hear something else — so to hear more steel, make other elements just a bit quieter. Turning things up too much just gives you distortion.

— Hum is tough to deal with. Two thoughts: first, is the hum worse when you’re near your computer monitor or speakers? If you’re using a laptop, this is probably not an issue, but you never know. Second, with single coil pickups, which direction you’re facing with the instrument makes a difference in the amount of hum, so try moving around a bit — always start with the low-tech, free answer! :D

Others here know tons more about this than me. You might ask some questions about recording in the Electronics forum.
Sherwood Everhart

Peter, I listened to it through one device and it sounded trebly, and I listened to it through another and it sounded bassy :) I have been promising myself that I would make tracks toward higher fidelity for years, but clearly I still have a ways to go.

This song, for me, was actually a breakthrough in sound quality, believe it or not - much better than, say, the song Broken Wreaths, which I recorded about a year ago and re-recorded the lap steel part yesterday for the sake of the video (that will probably be my last post for a while because my job kicks in to full swing next week). The reason it was a breakthrough for me was because I placed a mic over one of the F holes on my ES-175. Not rocket science, I know :) I even dropped large coin on a uke, but the simple act of adding another instrument to the mix just made everything sound even muddier, so the uke is on the back burner for a while. It's a tricky wicket - recording. I could always pay somebody to go into a studio, but I seem to figure out a lot of my better lap steel parts while in the creative yet slow process of recording, and with the meter running I'd go broke after about three songs :)

Thank you for the information, and I will definitely go read up in the Electronics section. I didn't even know there was such a section in The Steel Guitar Forum.