Fred Justice Pedal Steels

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ricky Davis

Fred Justice Pedal Steels

Post by Ricky Davis »

I have to brag on Fred Justice....I knew he was a great builder; but never had one of his steels here until last week. I was re-setting up a steel I've never touched for a steel player friend and of course he wanted 6th string to lower whole tone and split tune and you just have to use a "plain string" to lower whole tone from the pedal down A note; but NOT ON FRED's Pedal steel. I put a wound 6th string that I like and try to convince all steel players, that I work on their steels(usually ShoBud)To use, to sound IN TUNE. But Fred's designs a Changer finger that is INCREDIBLE and does lower .020wound string from A to G and extra raise rod to lower G# to F# in perfect split tune in both ways....WOW Fred; you are Da'Bomb. OH AND he has pins that you hook string on changer; so I'm guessing the best sounding finger tops made out of 6061 Aluminum??? WOW....WOW...
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I own 2 of Freds creations. Both SD10s, 3X5 & 4x5. They play wonderful and sound great.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

I have an older S-10 Jr (2 raise 1 lower) and it is excellent quality. Ron made mine but it is Fred’s design.
Last edited by K Maul on 12 Aug 2023 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

Hi Ricky. Are you saying the raise plus lower is naturally accurate or are you still using split screws (or extra raise rod.j?
Last edited by John Hyland on 30 Jul 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Hi Ricky. Do you saying the raise plus lower is naturally accurate or are you still using split screws
John on this double raise/single lower Justice; I used a extra raise rod for the split as; yes after setting the lever to lower from A to G; the lower from G# to F# goes a little too flat; so the extra raise rod is adjusted.
I don't think this starter model had screws behind changer fingers...
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Karol Wainscott

Post by Karol Wainscott »

I just received a new Pro Lite the end of June . It is a 3 x 5 set up . It not only is a beatuiful guitar but plays and sounds wonderful . Nothing but praise on Justice Guitars and Ron Anderson.
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Fred made me a Universal 10 string and I sold it to a friend who wanted to get into pedal steel. I said I would buy it back if he ever decided to give up. A ver nice unique guitar.
I survived the sixties!
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Back when I was deciding what new guitar I'd add to my collection, I considered Justice. But could find anyone here in Nashville to test one out since Weldon passed.

I bought a used Justice Pro lite that was in new condition to try, figured I could sell it if I didn't like it. I loved it, but missed having the C6, so I sold it and found a used D10 Justice Judge in new condition. I tweaked the setup a little and now it's one of my favorites. Stays in tune well.

My flock is now: Justice, Williams, MSA Studio Pro and Magnum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixNou6kffxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiYRQhBMzqY
Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson »

I remember telling Fred when he started building these guitars how great they are and that finally someone came up with a guitar to take the place of Zums. Not taking anything away from Zums, because are great guitars also, but there were rumors that they wouldn't be built much longer. Ricky you are right, Fred did build a great guitar. I'm surprised there aren't more of them out there.
Jim Pollard

Post by Jim Pollard »

Good timing on this post. I'm looking for a used Justice Pro or Pro Lite, Emmons setup, either 3x4 or 3x5. Ron has been great with my first guitar which was an S10-Jr so I'm looking for an upgrade.