Buddy Emmons: Steel Guitar Icon - 30% Discount Code

New products of interest to steel guitarists
Tony Oresteen

Post by Tony Oresteen »

Fish,

The Good News: My copy arrived today just in time for Christmas.

The Bad News: Wife says it's Christmas & family time. Put it away!

Anyway, I have peeked inside and read a few pages. No sleep for me tonight!
Tony
Newnan, GA

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139 '71 Sho-Bud 6140
'82 Sho-Bud 6160 '73 Sho-Bud 6138
'71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black '70??? Fender Champ Lap Steel
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

Got mine and I can't stop reading. Great book.
Franklin D10 Stereo - 8 and 6 - Black Box-Zum Encore 4 and 5 Nashville 400,Session 400, DD3 for delay ,also Benado Effects pedal.
Steeling with Franklin's..and Zum Encore
Brian Lee

Superb!

Post by Brian Lee »

Wow! Fish, you have written a truly remarkable book! It's really a delight. I really like the way that the italic memoir lines written by the Big E himself and the comments of others are so well integrated with your writing. The way you weave Buddys views of himself and events combining them with other peoples recollections and your own perspectives creates a very insightful portrait of the man.

Your decision to put more technical details of his tuning and set up evolution is a separate section at the end also really works great. It lets the overall book flow nicely, and it's also great to have the technical info consolidated in a compact section so the evolution of his set-ups is described in a very focused way.

What a wonderful accomplishment! Well done!
52 Fender Dual 8, Jackson Pro V, other guitars and amps. Learning pedal steel. Long time player on slide, guitar, harmonica
Dick Chapple Sr

Emmons

Post by Dick Chapple Sr »

I just now ordered the book at the Press. 50% off, great deal!!
Happy New year!
Jack Hanson

Re: Emmons

Post by Jack Hanson »

Dick Chapple Sr wrote:I just now ordered the book at the Press. 50% off, great deal!!
Happy New year!
Me too.
Figgered it wouldn't hurt to have two of 'em.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I really enjoyed this book! Great job. Thank you Steve. I loved the early years through the 60's in particular, probably because I was born in '63 and love reading about simpler times. LOL!
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

I just ordered my paper copy , and 30% discount code is still working ( F22UIP ) if anyone is thinking about ordering you can use the code …
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

It came quickly, nice book , I’m taking it to Croatia this summer, it’s gonna be great summer read

Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

It took me a while to “read” this. Not because it’s long and uninteresting. On the contrary. It’s extremely well written and opens so much of Buddy’s history. As I read through, I kept my iPad and headphones handy and listened to the songs that were mentioned. A lot of what Buddy did, especially while o the West coast, I had heard but didn’t realize it was him. Reading and listening made the book so real. If you haven’t gotten this, you’re missing a treasure.
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Yeah Man - Got one coming to my county library so that when somebody says "what is that thing making that sound?" I'll just send 'em to the library. Yeah man!
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Just a heads-up FYI for those few Forumites who have yet to purchase this great book, or those like myself who want a second copy. The University of Illinois Press is running a Summer Sale until June 18, 2023 on all of their titles.

Use discount code SUMMER23 when ordering to receive a 50% discount.
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

A question for anyone who has seen the cover photo of this book or perhaps to fish.
What is that contraption on the changer with wires coming out? And it looks like it has some sort of handbrake? Maybe another string bender? Maybe some kind of pickup, it has wires? Inquiring minds want to know.
Maybe I just need to finish reading the book and all will be explained?
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Bud Angelotti wrote: What is that contraption on the changer with wires coming out?
That is the infamous Emmons String Machine.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... ng+machine
John Brabant

Post by John Brabant »

The 50% off discount code doesn't appear to be working, at least for the clothe hardcover version of the book, FYI.
John Brabant
1978 Emmons D-10 P-P