Best tuner display for outdoor bright daylight gigs?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Schmidt

Best tuner display for outdoor bright daylight gigs?

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Ok personally I'd rather not do those kind of gigs anymore, but you know how that goes... 🙄
I have an older Peterson "Strobo Flip" and various clip on tuners, but they're just not getting it on some of the outdoor gigs I've done lately. Any suggestions? Has anybody tried a Peterson Strobo Stomp with the different color displays in bright sunlight?
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

You could always go back to a Boss TU-12 with the needle.
Erv
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

I shoot with a club that keeps score with a tablet, we saw one of the other clubs with an aluminum shield over their tablet, but they don't know where it came from. A fellow fabricated one from cardboard, and it works great!
Slim Heilpern

Post by Slim Heilpern »

I've used the tuner in the Zoom MultiStomp in direct sunlight, and it works well. It's a backlit LED display, but in direct sunlight, you don't see the back lighting, but you do see the what's being displayed.

- Slim
Chromatic Harmonica, Guitar, and Pedal Steel (Williams U12 Series 700, Emmons lap)
http://slimandpenny.com
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Need the shield like the fish finders use. I can't see my phone or tuner display. Good to know the Zoom pedal works.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Boss TU-2 and TU-3...hold the left button in for a few seconds and the display gets super bright. Lasts till you power it down. Repeat if needed...
I added a few labels above the scale to translate to my chosen offsets (G#, F, C#) and this tuner is great...can see it on the floor in any lighting conditions....

www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Slim Heilpern

Post by Slim Heilpern »

Forgot to mention, the Peterson StroboClip HD is also good in direct sunlight.

- Slim
Chromatic Harmonica, Guitar, and Pedal Steel (Williams U12 Series 700, Emmons lap)
http://slimandpenny.com
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

As long as you don't need a cents display, the Korg GA-1 or GA-2 work great, even in direct sunlight. :)

But if you need a needle with a cents display and an LCD, the Korg OT-120 is great (but pricey).
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Survey sez:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... robe-tuner

A bit spendier than others but you get a lot more and it will not be soon obsolete

Multiple sweeteners are available including two each for E9 & C6 necks

And it can be read easily in daylight
Dan Galysh

Post by Dan Galysh »

Strobo Stomp, Rick. Visible in all conditions.
Steve Schmidt

Post by Steve Schmidt »

My favorite tuner is the turbo tuner ST-200. It's an awesome tuner, except outdoors. You cannot see the LEDs in the bright sun. Fortunately, I don't do too many outdoor gigs
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

Aside from the display, which is really good (and much better than the stroboplus or turbo tuner imo) - the Strobostomp HD has some other nice features that you won't get with other tuners.

"Pop-less true bypass" makes it possible to tune or mute at any point in the show without worrying about a big "chunk" sound coming through foh. I use true bypass mode, rather than the buffered mode because to me it sounds a little better in my setup. There's also a third mode that gives you a tuner display while passing sound. I use this mode along with a headphone rig to fine tune in noisy environments. My only critique of the pedal is that I wish you could switch these modes without having to go through the battery compartment.

The pedal is set up so when I scroll up or down with the +/- buttons, it only cycles through three settings; E9, C6, & equal temperament. It's a lot faster and more fool proof than scrolling through modes on the Stroboplus hd.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

The new Strobostomp and the Stroboplus HDC are easily readable in any sunlit conditions - and you can change the background colours to improve it even more.
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Rick, outside, you've got to be kidding. In Az?
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Bob Shilling

Post by Bob Shilling »

The pedal is set up so when I scroll up or down with the +/- buttons, it only cycles through three settings; E9, C6, & equal temperament. It's a lot faster and more fool proof than scrolling through modes on the Stroboplus hd.
Brett, On the Stroboplus HD, the sweeteners you use most are at the top of the stack (I use SE9. SP9, ET), so you only scroll through those.
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10, "Classic"
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I recently got a StroboStomp HD and I'm loving' it. The display is huge, easy to see (now that I'm in my 70s), although I haven't played a gig in the sun yet with it. I have three outdoor gigs this weekend, so we'll see how it goes (no pun)!

I don't run the StroboStomp "in line". My Hilton volume pedal has a "tuner out", so I come out of that into the StroboStomp... and that's it. There's no need to use the foot switch at all because that controls the output, and I'm not using the output from the tuner. I never liked having a tuner in line. I don't have the tuner on my pedalboard, I just set it on the floor.
Using the SE9 setting, which was also in the older StroboFlip that I used for many years.