Opinions on dobro mic/pickup alternatives to Fishman

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Glenn Burleigh

Opinions on dobro mic/pickup alternatives to Fishman

Post by Glenn Burleigh »

Hey there,

I'm adding dobro to my list of instruments that I play. I've gotten to the point where I think I've got the basics down and could play out. The transition from lap steel wasn't too crazy. Anyway, I'm looking for some way to plug in, and it seems the Fishman setup is the gold standard. It is very expensive for both the pickup and Aura pedal. I see some alternatives that appear to basically be small microphones. Gold Tone and Myers make models that seem to work on this system. Any opinions on these? I'm just hoping to get something decent for $200-ish. All tips are appreciated!
Dekley Slimline 3x4, Sho~bud Professional, Encore 3x5, Fender Custom Professional, Gold Tone PDS-D, Melbert Roundabout, Gibson Les Paul Junior Special, Ibanez Custom Agent, Danelectro U2 Baritone, various Teles and Strats.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Perhaps not quite as good as a mic, but much easier to deal with and highly feedback resistant, is the Krivo
https://www.krivopickups.com/store/p2/K ... tars..html
I have one on my tricone and in a setup A/B test you might notice the difference. the audience won't...
I do use fishman + aura on my single cone...but I have a couple of instruments and only needed one Aura pedal for them all...
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Glenn Burleigh

Post by Glenn Burleigh »

I'll look into that!
Dekley Slimline 3x4, Sho~bud Professional, Encore 3x5, Fender Custom Professional, Gold Tone PDS-D, Melbert Roundabout, Gibson Les Paul Junior Special, Ibanez Custom Agent, Danelectro U2 Baritone, various Teles and Strats.
Roland Scholl

Dobro mic/pickup

Post by Roland Scholl »

Myers works for me, although not very feedback resistant; I even paired it with a Lekato wireless system with good results...
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

This Gold Tone option was recommended to me by a dobro player friend as a more reasonable priced option that still sounds pretty good. I haven't heard it.

https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldtone/accessories/abs
Ron Thompson

Opinions Dobro mic pickup

Post by Ron Thompson »

Glenn I did the opposite of you going from Dobro to lap steel. I used the Myers pickup "The Grip" with excellent results. Look up info online, I am selling mine on amps/misc here on the forum if you decide to go that way.
David Cook

Post by David Cook »

Hi
I have the Krivo on my dobro and it is good enough
Last gig I used it and a Shure 57 and it sounded great'
This group didn't have drums or electric guitar