Fender Stringmaster Double 8

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Brian Christiano

Fender Stringmaster Double 8

Post by Brian Christiano »

Looking for some info on Double 8 Stringmaster guitars.

I recently came across an original Double 8, no case. The lady that owns it has had it since her husband passed away. It has been in a dry climate and in the closet, unattended. He apparently never played it for her after they were married. (Sad. She had never heard it played. I managed with the remaining strings to start the old Sleep Walk intro)

The guitar needs some TLC but appears in good shape, dirty and needing strings badly.

I believe the electrics are probably good but will need some contact cleaner, etc.

First, what would be a reasonable offer for this guitar? Is $500 too high or low?

I have a single neck 8 string and tune it to C6th. (I play an Emmons D-10 regularly.)

Second question: What would be the best tuning for the second neck?

I didn't get any pictures, which I regret, but it had some general wear around the jack area and the selector switch felt gummy like it needed cleaning.

Your help is appreciated.
Brian A. Christiano, MSME, P.E.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

Ask her what she thinks is a fair price and go from there. Jules C13 and B11 or A6.
Aloha
I wanna go back to my little grass shack........
Michael Lester

Stringmaster value

Post by Michael Lester »

First, you have my admiration for inquiring about a fair price.

It would be rare indeed to find a TLC-needed D8 in almost any condition for $500. Given the circumstances you describe - in a closet - never played recently - no case -legs? - an uninformed widow ...

I'd suggest you do a search of the Forum for previous D8 sales and document your search to show the owner. Then negotiate the final price based on how the guitar compares to those sold.

Personally, being fair is the best price.
Brian Christiano

Re: Stringmaster value

Michael Lester wrote:First, you have my admiration for inquiring about a fair price.

It would be rare indeed to find a TLC-needed D8 in almost any condition for $500. Given the circumstances you describe - in a closet - never played recently - no case -legs? - an uninformed widow ...

I'd suggest you do a search of the Forum for previous D8 sales and document your search to show the owner. Then negotiate the final price based on how the guitar compares to those sold.

Personally, being fair is the best price.
She has no clue what it it worth. I am really at a loss to the value. I have seen pristine Stringmasters for $2000 with the case. This one is not pristine and has no case. I don't want to take advantage of her but don't want to invest more than it is worth. Also, I went to school with her sister, so there is another link to this equation.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Does it have legs and a case? All parts work? Worth at least 1200$. Bridge covers there? 50$ a piece if missing.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Yeah.....

$1800 - $2k if pristine or close.

In the condition you describe (with no pics), probably @ $1k would be fair to both of you.

Less than that, she's probably being ripped off.
Brian Christiano

Stephen Cowell wrote:Does it have legs and a case? All parts work? Worth at least 1200$. Bridge covers there? 50$ a piece if missing.
It has legs in good condition; no case. All parts seem to work, i.e. tuners, selector switch felt dirty and mushy like it needed cleaning. I couldn't plug it in to check it, no amp.

Bridge covers were there.

Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Brian Christiano wrote:
Stephen Cowell wrote:Does it have legs and a case? All parts work? Worth at least 1200$. Bridge covers there? 50$ a piece if missing.
It has legs in good condition; no case. All parts seem to work, i.e. tuners, selector switch felt dirty and mushy like it needed cleaning. I couldn't plug it in to check it, no amp.

Bridge covers were there.
Case is worth at least 200$... big pain to go without. Offer 1000$. There will be others... the case carries the legs, which is a *real* pain when you have to use a keyboard or rifle case that doesn't fit the legs well. Fenders sell well when they have legs and case and work... the bridge covers most folks put in a drawer, but the case is a big deal. Don't overpay... and you'll always be able to get your money out of a Stringmaster.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Ben Alt

Post by Ben Alt »

Having shopped for D8 Stringmasters recently in shops an privately, I'd say the prices mentioned here are pretty accurate. An offer of $1000 would be good for you, and ok for the seller, depending on how involved they want to get - they could probably get more, but it might mean some leg work. If you've got cash in hand and they're motivated to sell, I wouldn't call 1k unfair.

For player-grade with legs and a case I was hoping for around $1700-1800 in a shop, maybe $1200-$1400 private sale. Austin Vintage Guitars has a very clean one for sale for $2200 right now, which is more than I'd want to pay, but give you a sense of where the upper limit might be.

Also, when I buy stuff used I try to bring along a little 9 Volt battery powered amp - Fender makes one for about $50, might be worth the investment. It won't give you a great sense of how good the pickups sound, but can verify that they work. In addition to the condition, you might try to get a sense of the scale length, which can affect playability to some extent if you're looking to do a bunch of bar slants - Stringmasters come in (i think) three scale lengths, with each one having different strengths and weaknesses.