Promat doesn`t make only black guitars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

thanks CrowBear,
now if I would have time to play it would be perfect.Why is that when you are a pro musician you don`t have money to buy what you want and as soon as you get a regular job and buy what you want you don`t have a time to play it?I could never afford those guitars while I was making living playing steel and now I can have two but don`t have time to take them out of the case.Makes me mad.

Db

------------------
"Promat"
~when tone matters~ www.promatsteelguitars.com

basilh

Post by basilh »

What about a picture of the UNDERSIDE ?
Baz
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Db

------------------
"Promat"

Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

Wow, they are fine looking steels...that being said,
I wonder where patents and trademarks come into play here. Obviously they appear to be clones of the classic push-pull Emmons guitars.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

<SMALL> I wonder where patents and trademarks come into play here.</SMALL>
nowhere,patent has expired years ago, and trust me Promat did a good research on that subject.Nobody makes push pull guitars because they are too expencive to make,Promat is the only company that would make a push pull on order and for a price of the all pull,if you ask me I think it is a way cool that we can still order a push pull from sowhere if we want one.

Db

------------------
"Promat"

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Damir Besic on 17 November 2006 at 10:07 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

LOL!! Damir, every time he brings up Promats, he gets Lambasted! Yes, Promats are clones of a Push Pull. any patents are well expired. No one makes Push Pulls except for Promat. I bet a Promat is better than most push pulls, except maybe the most special ones.
I'd trade in my PP for a promat in a second Image Mikeyv = jealous Image
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

My comment was not to denigrate the Promat
but to bring up the possibility of the there being patent or trademark issues.
I wouldn't know if they were expired or not and can only see the similarites between the two brands..

...it is a beautiful looking instrument and if it really sounds as good as it looks, it will be a desired addition.
Mike Vallandigham

Sorry bo, my comments werent related to anyone specific..But poor Damir always gets a hard time when promats are discussed. Just observing.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

<SMALL>LOL!! Damir, every time he brings up Promats, he gets Lambasted!</SMALL>
huh,ain`t that the truth Image ,and I don`t even make`em or sell`em or anything..just playing a darn thing..and even for that I don`t have a time

Db

------------------
"Promat"

Joe Yednasty

Post by Joe Yednasty »

Here is my attempt at summarizing this post. Hopefully it is unbiased enough to prevent offending anyone. Emmons has made some classic steel guitars, past and present. I'm sure we can all agree that the past Emmons Push/Pulls differ from the new current styles but most of us would be happy with either era of Emmons. Since the classic Emmons push/pulls are no longer made, Promat is the only current gateway to purchase a brand new "Emmons Push/Pull." Regardless of the company name, fretboard logos, and patents, it is a positive thing that Promat gives pedal steel players the opportunity to buy these fine classic instruments in brand new form. I own a classic Emmons Push/Pull and enjoy knowing there is always the posibility of buying one brand new even though it may have a different name on the front.

------------------
"Eskimo" Joe Yednasty

Emmons P/P S-10
Peavey Session 500

Ralph Mooney Fan

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Joe Yednasty on 19 November 2006 at 08:07 PM.]</p></FONT>
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Speaking only for myself, I intended no criticism of Promat, and certainly no criticism of Damir! It just surprised me to see atoms on the fretboards, because I know that companies trademark all kinds of things, e.g. Fender will sue anybody that manufactures a guitar with a headstock that's exactly the same shape as a Telecaster or Stratocaster headstock, and although Emmons doesn't make push-pulls any more, they do still use the atoms! I think it would be silly for Emmons to be bothered by this, in fact, and although I've never been a push-pull player, I too think it's great that Promat is making them available brand new.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Damir,
I have to take exception to what you said about the difference between Emmons p/p's and the Promat's tuner head.

I have 11 Emmons push/pulls and NONE of them have a nut to secure the tuner to the head. There is NO nut on the tuner shaft. On the later model LeGrande tuner heads there IS a nut on the tuner shaft. So the Promats aren't unique even is this respect.
Mike Vallandigham

Yes, I was playing my '74 PP and remembering this thread, looked for nuts on the inside of the tuners. No nuts there, no threard either. Makes sense, to let the tension of the string pull the tuning ped aginst the aluminum head for better vibration transfer. Image
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

<SMALL>I have 11 Emmons push/pulls and NONE of them have a nut to secure the tuner to the head. There is NO nut on the tuner shaft. On the later model LeGrande tuner heads there IS a nut on the tuner shaft. So the Promats aren't unique even is this respect.</SMALL>
huh,now that tells you how much I know about the whole deal,I better don`t say anything anymore.I don`t know much (if anything) about making a steel guitar,I just play them when I have a time.I do too like the fact that I can buy a new push pull if I wanted to and I`m very happy that Promat decided to copy something as unique as a push pull.If they were making all pull guitar it would be just another all pull brand among many others.

Db

ps

btw, I don`t think Emmons has a time to bother with some small 2 man operation, that makes 10 guitars a year,they already have waiting list of 3 years, plus they don`t care about push pull guitars anyway

------------------
"Promat"

Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

"Emmons don't care for push/pulls guitars anyway", what kind of a statement is that to make?

I bought two new lacquered D-10 push/pulls from Ron Lashley last year.
If someone would like to post the pictures of them for me, I would be happy to e-mail the pictures.

Why settle for an imitation when you can get the original Image
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

Whoa whoa guys - About the keyhead/tuner thing...

The old '70s Emmons guitars had Kluson Deluxe tuners, and those never had a nut-sleeve that went around the peg - later, in the '80s they went to Sperzel tuners that did, so Emmons has had both (on push/pulls), I currently own both, and I haven't noticed any tonal improvement from having Klusons over Sperzels, and here's why...

Remember that on that side of the string, they are dampened by your fingers (or should be) so there's not enough vibrations transfering around like that to be affected by what kind of tuner, not being open-string as usual.

I have noticed a diffrence between Sperzels and Klusons though: Sperzels hold tune better, Klusons are more delecate. Just my observation, my preference.

Hey but that Promat is smokin' great anyhow.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Duane Reese on 20 November 2006 at 03:34 PM.]</p></FONT>
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

<SMALL>I bought two new lacquered D-10 push/pulls from Ron Lashley last year.</SMALL>
and how many more they made since?
and if I`m not mistaken those two were made with the left over parts from the push pull era they had laying around at the shop.Emmons doesn`t have time to fiddle around with push pull,they have too many orders for their all pull guitars.
<SMALL>Why settle for an imitation when you can get the original</SMALL>
can I ?

Db

------------------
"Promat"

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Damir Besic on 20 November 2006 at 03:34 PM.]</p></FONT>
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Can I what?
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

Can he settle for an imitation (or we should probably say, "may he"..)
P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

<SMALL>Can I what?</SMALL>
<SMALL>Can he settle for an imitation (or we should probably say, "may he"..) </SMALL>
You guys are silly. Image

I'm pretty sure it's obvious that he meant "Can I get the original" since Emmons isn't really making them anymore.

I'd love a new Emmons push pull, but they won't make one for me. Promat looks like a pretty great substitute.
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

Okay, so I made a misjudgement. "Silly" is a pretty strong word, isn't it? Image
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

<SMALL>Can I what?</SMALL>
that,or maybe not?what if I do? and I know it`s that but what if it`s not,or maybe?

Db

------------------
"Promat"

Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

<SMALL>I have 11 Emmons push/pulls </SMALL>
I believe it is illegal to own more than 7 at one time so you need to send me four to hold for you. Image I also agree with Dalmir that the push/pulls were made from left over parts and cabinets but that does not make them any less of a push/pull either just that they are not building any new ones. I have one push/pull and 2 LeGrande III's and they all are classic Emmons but my taste and ears drift to my Jimmie Crawford guitar but I might consider one of these Promats if I could try one. Very beautiful guitars and I'm sure just as sweet sounding and playing also.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Mike,
You mean "it's against the law".

Illegal is a sick bird! Image
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

<SMALL>Illegal is a sick bird!</SMALL>
I knew that! Image

Hey Erv, need my address yet? Image