1967 Emmons Bolt on 8&7

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
David Higginbotham

1967 Emmons Bolt on 8&7

Post by David Higginbotham »

Home repair expenses dictate I must part with this classic. The holy grail of tone and can’t emphasize enough how well this guitar plays and sounds! Emmons single coils wound to 13K. If you use the popular Emmons chart it shows it’s a ‘66 model. But from reading posts of others more knowledgeable than I am, they state s/n stamping began in ‘67 and used invoice numbers prior. This gem is in excellent condition and was set up by Buck Reid 2 years ago and minimal playing since. The extra 2 knees raise & lower 4th string C-6. The right knees also raise & lower the 3rd string on the C-6 in addition to usual setup on the E-9th. The rest is typical Emmons setup. $6200 plus the ride.
Thanks,
Dave 🙂

Cody Stewart

Post by Cody Stewart »

With 7 knee levers, this guitar is priced beyond fair. What a great deal on a beautiful bolt on!
Bolt On’s: Red Belly, Brown Belly, 73 Sho~Bud Pro~II, Fender’s/Peavey’s. If it doesn't sound like 1968, then I probably won’t like it.
George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

Lifetime guitar in my opinion..I've got 1063D and mine had split coils
Old Emmons D-10's & Wrap Resound 65, Standel amps!
Old Gibson Mastertones
David Higginbotham

Guys, thanks for the comments! George, looks like our guitars were born next to each other! :lol:

Please forgive my failure for not including the end plates in the pics. The pics were taken around Christmas last year and it’s been in the case since. I took a couple pics of the end plates, and other than the finger prints and maybe needing to be polished out with some mothers, there are no discernible issues. This guitar is really excellent both cosmetically and mechanically. Previous owners were obviously keen in keeping care of their equipment, as it should be!

Thanks for the PM’s, emails, and interest. Please let me know if there’s anything else anyone needs.

Dave 🙂

Rick Heins

Post by Rick Heins »

David,

Quick question, I notice that your guitar has narrow pedals and pedal spacing that are usually indicative of later 70s Emmons. I'm not an expert like others on this forum but are these features correct for this guitar from 1966/67 or were they replaced at some point?

Thanks,
Rick
Sr Product Manager - Fender Amplifiers
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

According to the chart you posted it should be a 66.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
David Higginbotham

Hey Rick,
I wish I was able to answer your question with any degree of accuracy, but I’m not sure. I know there were some changes along the way in the various production cycles and there’s a possibility some changes were employed with previous owners. Anyone who has the answers can feel free to chime in. I did speak with Buck Reid last year and he verified he setup this Emmons in May 2021 as well as another black D-10 with a very close serial number that had 8&4 and both were from the same owner. That’s about the extent of my previous knowledge.

Thanks,
Dave 🙂
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Rick Heins wrote:David,

Quick question, I notice that your guitar has narrow pedals and pedal spacing that are usually indicative of later 70s Emmons. I'm not an expert like others on this forum but are these features correct for this guitar from 1966/67 or were they replaced at some point?

Thanks,
Rick
Rick, those look to be the correct pedals and spacing for that guitar. I had 1104D at one time and looks same as mine had. I’m not an Expert on Emmons paraphernalia either for sure but looks just like one I had.

What an awesome guitar too and great price.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
David Higginbotham

Henry, thanks for chiming in my friend. Hope all is well. You’re being very modest as we all respect your knowledge of Emmons PP’s and your talent for setting them up so well.

All the best…
Dave 🙂
Cody Stewart

Post by Cody Stewart »

Henry, I agree with you. Those pedals are spaced correctly, no issue there. Johnny Cox, the serial chart David posted isn’t totally correct. Invoice numbers I believe were used right up till about 67. There’s a very good chance this guitar was built in 67 but that really makes no difference, the 66&67 Bolt On’s were all built to the same general specs. This guitar appears to have the early era stratospheric pickups, those are magical in themself.

Whoever buys this is going to get a very clean example of Emmons history, one that will only increase in value. I’ve played many bolt on’s and they were all cannons. I would buy it myself, but I want to keep my lovely wife.
Bolt On’s: Red Belly, Brown Belly, 73 Sho~Bud Pro~II, Fender’s/Peavey’s. If it doesn't sound like 1968, then I probably won’t like it.
David Higginbotham

Cody,
Thank you for the comments and help in clearing up the question. It’s nice to have Emmons gurus to educate the rest of us regarding details when we don’t have the answer.

There’s a pending sale with the Emmons going to a very well versed player in the great musical capitol of Texas!

Thanks for all the interest!

Dave 🙂
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Well shucks, I was ready to sell a kidney for that beautiful beast, lol
I actually like bolt one better than the early wrap around. Tone just covers you all over. Best wishes David
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

I've got two D-10 bolt-ons, 1014-D and 2542 (invoice serial).. I did a lot of research when I ended up with 2542, including searches for Emmons serial number discussions here on the forum, and in other places. Plus I have talked with Herb Steiner and a few other folks who have pretty deep knowledge of Emmons guitar history. The conclusion I reached was similar to what David mentioned up this thread. Any serial ending in a 'D' is almost surely a '67 or newer, that's when they started using the 'D' suffix. Somewhere else I read that it's also possible that an invoice serial number 'might' even be an early '67.. Hard to know for sure.

All that said, 1014-D and 2542 are virtually identical, although each has it's own sound. Once I found a bolt-on, I pretty much quit looking at other guitars. In fact, I bought 2542 because I liked 1014-D so much. Somebody is going to be mighty happy with this guitar. Good luck on the sale David!
Lost Pines Studio
"I'm nuts about bolts"
Tab Tabscott

Nice guitar almost my age

Post by Tab Tabscott »

Pm sent.
Tab Tabscott

Play nice.

They is none else.