Wedge to hold pedal down

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bryce Van Parys

Wedge to hold pedal down

Post by Bryce Van Parys »

I've rigged my 0 pedal to pull up a C6 tuning so that I have a lap steel tuning from strings 4-9 with one change. It works so well I thought it would be quite convenient to develop a way to hold the pedal down so I can do several western swing number in C6 without holding the pedal down. I fabricated this simple wedge today from Rock Maple and the concept seems sound. I thinking of making a pivot and securing it to the underside to flip back and forth easily as a lever.

This is on a recent Mullen Royal Precision. My question to you all: has anyone else developed a solution to hold a pedal in position? Am I on the right track here? will try this mod on my gig tonight for Walkin After Midnight and report back

Bryce

Bryce
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, Fender Deluxe 8 string

Double bass, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

I like the idea of a hold down device. That said I wonder how much detuning might occur since the pivot can’t open more than its in tune position and there is some chance it might fall back a little unless the wedge is set very solidly and hard to remove? That said it looks like a good temporary solution but something which needs a permanent mechanism before it drives you nuts.

Are you able to add a pivot to the wedge so it swings into position.

Also could you remind me what your pedal 0 activates?
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

There needs to be some type of spring tension in the lock that will hold the pull tight against the pedal stop.

If a spring could be installed in a slot in the end of the wedge to apply constant pressure, May work very well.

Same problem in designing a lock for the D Knee lever on a 12Universal for B6th playing. I had to put a strong firearm spring in the pull train, To get it to work proper.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

How much time would you need between songs to put it in?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

If you're after something more positive and permanent you could add a lock lever that pulls directly on the cross shaft, independent of the pedal. Here is one that's a fairly simple design made by Darvin Willhoite: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... 23#2482123
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Roy McKinney

Post by Roy McKinney »

Wouldn't this be something similar to the Sierra Uni Eb lever lock?
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Richard Sinkler wrote:How much time would you need between songs to put it in?
How much time would it take to just tune the strings with your left hand?
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

I had an older universal, Excel that had a locking lever. There were minimal tuning tweaks, changeing tunings.
Speedy West's changes came about to change tunings so he didn't have a multiple neck guitar for them.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:How much time would you need between songs to put it in?
How much time would it take to just tune the strings with your left hand?
I think that would be the better approach. Or just hold the pedal down with my foot.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ivan Funk

Post by Ivan Funk »

Cool idea.
Somewhere I saw a lever on some piece of machinery that when pushed down and then to the side it latched. To release it you just pushed down again once. If you didn't push it to the side it operated as a momentary move and didn't latch. I can't remember where I saw it or the context though. It could have been a dream or maybe a trash can lid opener...
Or maybe I just invented it. In which case let this post serve as my patent.
Ivan Funk

Post by Ivan Funk »

Could have been the parking brake on an old John Deer tractor?