Msa

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Rosko

Msa

Post by Steve Rosko »

I was playing with our band last night and was approached during the break by a nice elderly lady (she said she's 81). Her husband played a PSG, but passed away 20 years ago. His guitar has been sitting in its case ever since. I asked her acquaintance to take some pics, see below. I told her I'd try to get a fair value and perhaps try to sell it for her. I haven't personally seen it, but it looks to be in pretty good shape by the pictures. Amp goes too. Maybe a good starter set up for a new player?
Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.
84 Emmons D10 PP, MSA D10, Hilton, Little Walter PF89, PF-350 cabs, blueSky, BJS
Tommy Mc

Post by Tommy Mc »

As I understand it, the "Pro-Am" version of the Sidekick had a triple raise-triple lower all-pull changer. In my mind, that adds a little value. Still, it's only a 3+1 student model. A brand new Justice S-10 3+1 lists for $1150, with an all-pull changer, maple body, adjustable legs, and the ability to add levers. Of course, there's a wait time and shipping, but IMO that kind of sets a ceiling on value of all starter guitars.

The Cortez amp really adds minimal value to the deal. Lately, the prices of all used starters have been creeping up, beyond what I think they're worth. Considering that, like they say on Antiques Roadshow, "in today's market" I think something in the $800 to $1000 would be a fair asking price.
1980 MSA Vintage XL S-10, 1975 Session 400
1972 Dobro model 66s
Derby SD-10
Tom McDonough