Help with split tuning on a Carter SD10

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lanny Carnley

Help with split tuning on a Carter SD10

Post by Lanny Carnley »

Is there anyone in the deep east Texas or Dallas or Houston area that can help me retune my split tuning on my Carter SD10. I've followed the instructions in the owners manual but it doesn't seem to work. Thanks.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

First, is this what you did? Is it the G on string 6 you are asking about?
1. Tune the raise G#-A normally
2. With the lower that (without the split) would tune G#->F#, instead use it to tune G#->G with both G#-F# lever and B pedal engaged
3. Use the split raise rod with just G#-F# engaged to fix the offset on the F#.

If it isn't clear which nylon tuners do what, you can look underneath and figure it out...the G#-F# lever will have both a lower (normal one) and a raise (split tuner)
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Lanny Carnley

Post by Lanny Carnley »

Yeah, that's the way I did it but now after tuning the lower to G with B pedal and G# to F# lever both engaged my open G# is detuned and I can't figure out whats going on. It seems like I have to run my nylon nut for the lower in farther than before.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Sounds like an issue win not enough slack somewhere in the linkage…
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Perhaps "overtuning" is the issue.

Carefully read Jon Light's post, which is a "sticky" up above.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=326460
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Del Hillier

Post by Del Hillier »

I had the same problem with my Carter. My solution was simply to change the string to a different one! At the time I was experimenting with different strings and some of them threw off my split tuning...not sure why, but I would try to go with the strings recommended for your guitar or contact Steel Guitars of Canada with your question.

Del
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Del Hillier wrote:I had the same problem with my Carter. My solution was simply to change the string to a different one! At the time I was experimenting with different strings and some of them threw off my split tuning...not sure why, but I would try to go with the strings recommended for your guitar or contact Steel Guitars of Canada with your question.

Del
If I'm not mistaken, Al closed down and retired.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Paul Redmond

Post by Paul Redmond »

Call Michael Small in Austin TX at (714)717-7218.
PRR
Del Hillier

Post by Del Hillier »

Thanks Richard, I did not realize Steel Guitars of Canada had shut town. I sure wish Al Brisco the best - he is a really great guy. When I purchased my first pedal steel guitar (I knew nothing about them) I actually emailed Al a couple links to pedal steels that were available on Craigslist in Vancouver. Turned out one of them was a guitar he likely sold himself (had the SGC sticker on it). Anyhow, I was lucky because I was also looking at another guitar that was (and now I can tell) obviously in need of repair and refurnishing (it was a home made steel). Thanks to Al, he helped me pick the right guitar. I bought a few things from his store over the years and he was always great to order from.

Just last month I bought my second Carter from someone who had purchased it from SGC back in 2001 - haha, I have become a loyal Carter player I guess!

Del
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Del Hillier wrote:Thanks Richard, I did not realize Steel Guitars of Canada had shut town. I sure wish Al Brisco the best - he is a really great guy. When I purchased my first pedal steel guitar (I knew nothing about them) I actually emailed Al a couple links to pedal steels that were available on Craigslist in Vancouver. Turned out one of them was a guitar he likely sold himself (had the SGC sticker on it). Anyhow, I was lucky because I was also looking at another guitar that was (and now I can tell) obviously in need of repair and refurnishing (it was a home made steel). Thanks to Al, he helped me pick the right guitar. I bought a few things from his store over the years and he was always great to order from.

Just last month I bought my second Carter from someone who had purchased it from SGC back in 2001 - haha, I have become a loyal Carter player I guess!

Del
Him closing down is a great loss to the steel guitar world. He was such a great source.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.