steel player?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Weaver

steel player?

Post by Michael Weaver »

Does anyone know who was playing a Franklin D-10 with Brad Paisley on the Today Show this morning?
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I didn't see it, but Randle Currie has been playing a D10 Franklin with Brad for years. Unless there's been a recent change, it was Randle.
Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 14 Jul 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Weaver

Post by Michael Weaver »

thanks....much appreciated....and, as frequently happens, no real "steel time" on either of the songs
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

You're welcome.

Just noticed I misspelled Randle's last name in the earlier reply as Curry...I edited it to correct it.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I watched the show. Glad to see a steel player but as stated, no real steel time.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Randle Currie is still playing his Franklin D-10 with Brad Paisley and his band, The Drama Kings. Before Randle joined the band, Jim Heffernan played steel-Jim played a ZumSteel D-10. In 1997, Randle was playing steel with Bryan White. Brad's band still has the same guys-Brad Paisley-vocals, lead guitar, Kenny Lewis-bass guitar, Gary Hooker-vocals/rhythm guitar, Kendall Marcy-keyboards, Justin Williamson-fiddle, Randle Currie-steel guitar, and Ben Sesar-drums. Randle joined the band in late 2000 and has been with the band ever since then. At one point, Randle played a paisley-colored MSA in the band, but switched back to the Franklin. In 2012, when I saw Brad Paisley in concert, Randle told me the MSA is the steel you hear on Brad's Christmas record, and he said the Franklin is the best steel he's played onstage. Randle is now heard on many of Brad's records too, because early in Brad's career, he was using studio musicians, including Mike Johnson on steel. If I remember right, Randle was on the Mud On The Tires record, then Mike Johnson came back for the Time Well Wasted record, then Randle is on the 5th Gear record and has been on the records after 5th Gear. There were two videos featuring Brad's band where the Franklin isn't seen-"Alcohol" features Randle playing a Sho-Bud, and "The World" features the MSA.