‘72 Sho-Bud S10 model 6139 natural

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Eric Philippsen

‘72 Sho-Bud S10 model 6139 natural

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Up for sale is a 1972 blonde Sho-Bud 6139. It is a single 10-string with 3 pedals and 1 knee lever. It comes with an old Miller volume pedal which works fine. Judging by its condition and lack of any dings, nicks or nicotine staining I believe the steel has never been played out. It even has the original paperwork from Sho-Bud that came with every steel. It has a heavy duty leg and rod bag.

There is a finish discoloration directly above the lower front inlay where the finish has separated and turned a pale reddish color. It runs the length of the front. (See photo). I believe it happened when the case got wet and the moisture seeped in at the case’s bottom seam. The purple case lining then bled some color onto the steel at that point.

It’s case is clean and without any scuffs, tears or loose tolex. It’s handle has a small clip on one end to keep it secure.

I have adjusted, lubed, tuned and played it. It plays and sounds nice.

$1500 plus shipping. It will be packed by a UPS store owner who has shipped
many steels for me. Thanks for looking.

Image [/img]
Last edited by Eric Philippsen on 14 Jul 2023 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Philippsen

To the top.
Remi Villeneuve

Post by Remi Villeneuve »

T O N E !!!
And VEEEEERY good price
Josiah Loven

Post by Josiah Loven »

Do you have any pics of the case?
David Farrell

Post by David Farrell »

Hi,

This may be a dumb question but, can this guitar have 3 or 4 knee levers added to it & have E's on the left & standard changes on the right?

Thanks, Dave
Dave

Fender pedal steels, amps & guitars. '73 Sho~Bud PRO 1 CUSTOM. Emmons ReSound'65 S-10 4x5.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

David Farrell wrote:Hi,

This may be a dumb question but, can this guitar have 3 or 4 knee levers added to it & have E's on the left & standard changes on the right?

Thanks, Dave
yes,no problem adding 3 or even 4 levers,,, btw, nice deal on an exceptionally clean old Bud..
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

I have a very similar guitar, set up with four knee levers. When I bought it, the E changes were already on the left, and the knee levers didn't seem to be quite right. I'm no steel mechanic, so I sent it to Ricky Davis for an overhaul.

What I learned: Because of the one-up-one-down changer and the rack-and-barrel linkage, there are some limitations to the complexity of your setup. I wanted to raise the 1st and 2nd string while lowering the 6th, but there was a clearance issue between the brass tuning barrels (underneath) on two adjacent strings. Also unable to add a left knee vertical.

Excellent-sounding instrument!
GFI Expo S-10PE, Sho-Bud 6139, Fender 2x8 Stringmaster, Supro consoles, Dobro. And more.
Eric Philippsen

I will post additional pics, as requested.

I’m sure knee levers could be added but I’m not sure how many given that it has a single raise, single lower changer. Those more knowledgeable and familiar with that would, though.

As for shipping, it would probably be between $150-200 depending on distance, of course. I should add that I do not want to ship to foreign locations. Just too many hassles involved in doing that such as customs, carrier, time, etc.

Of course, someone could pick it up if they wanted to drive to do thst.
Eric Philippsen

More pics:

Alexander Anderson

Post by Alexander Anderson »

PM sent!
Eric Philippsen

The steel is sold.

Forum contribution to follow.
Last edited by Eric Philippsen on 15 Jul 2023 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Roblin

Post by Andrew Roblin »

These older Sho-Buds can be readily modernized with four knees. I have a rack-and-barrel Professional with four knees. It's my favorite single-neck steel. Easy to adjust too.

They play and sound great.

Sho-Bud made wonderful steels.

I'm a little biased because I worked there and the Jacksons and my fellow Sho-Bud employees were exceptionally kind to me. But many other steel players share the same opinion about these remarkable, beautiful, long-lasting and excellent-sounding pedal steels.
John Groover McDuffie

Post by John Groover McDuffie »

sending email.