ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

richard burton

Post by richard burton »

Here's how it's done on my ZB
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Thank Richard for your help, just had a look under the guitar and the rod is there ,the hex nut is missing so maybe i can get one made ,it looks as if it would have to be longer then the ones that are on the guitar for the normal pulls. as i asked in my last post above where can i get the slot on for the string changer , it's the thing where the string comes the bridge , it's round with a square cut out to slot on to the top of the finger.
thanks again..
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

John, I have them. Email me with your address and I will send one to you. I also have the tuners.
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Thanks Kevin , i have dropped you an email.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

I'll second what Joe C. says. I've never seen a ZB made out of zebra wood. It almost looks like mica. Are the fretboards brownish?
Hey Joe, enjoy the blue ZB, I miss it already. Greg says that he is taking really good care of it.
Duncan
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

man that ZeBra wood is awesome... there's gotta be a story behind that, somewhere...
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Here are a few photos of my new old ZB D10 8+4
i bought this guitar back in 1980 and sold it the same year, as i live in spain but still come to the uk i was looking for a second steel, i found the guy who bought it from me and asked if he still had it , yes it's still in the loft he said , I never got around to opening the case . i asked if wanted to sell it , yes he said it might need new strings. LOL. so i bought it. When i got it home and opened the case i was amazed at the condition of the guitar , colour was great no fade and everything was just as i sold it ,The body has no damage , the strings on the front neck had broken but the back neck still had it,s strings and to my amazement still in tune i was able to play a tune on it, must say something about the ZB guitar. i have given a quick clean and changed the strings , the pedal action is quite good but as i play a sho bud this felt a little stiffer. the only trouble is now i want to take it back to Spain so i'm back to where i started....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99508287@N00/?saved=1
Fred Bova

Post by Fred Bova »

Hi, Any necks or changers for sale? I have a Keyhead and Changer / Pickup mount and would like to compleate the package. Also, what was the string lenght on these ZB guitars?<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Fred Bova on 13 November 2006 at 11:38 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

Fred,

If you want to look at/measure an S-10 in person, mine's in a box (yeah, FIND a case that'll fit a ZB) up at CV Mini-Storage.

Ben
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

so... did anyone check out the catalog pix?
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

I did Dave. Very nice pictures and info. Thanks for posting.

Russ
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

Thought I would post this pic here in the hopes that someone might have seen or knows where this former guitar of mine is, built in Phoenix either 75 or 76.

Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

that's a beauty Stephen... sorry I don't know where it is...
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

Hi Stephen:

Thanks for sharing the picture. Great looking ZB; you don't see that many with the shiny trim, most I've seen are with the plain (but pretty) wood trim.

Like the shirt, too. Groovalicious. If you're ever up in San Francisco, give me a holler and I'll be happy to show you a ZB or two here at the house.

ZBest,
Larry
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

Larry,

When we meet, I have a story about what I am wearing in that picture. I do get up your way from time to time.

SS

------------------
Life is mostly attitude and timing
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

b0b you closing post in Humor
put it over the line anyway...
oops dude!

Now ZB is neck and neck again.
DD
Fred Bova

Post by Fred Bova »

Hi Ben, that would be great sometime. We do need to get together soon. Give me a call on my cell. Fred
Paul Warnik

Post by Paul Warnik »

My 2 cents to "touch" the "longest thread in forum history" Image If I never owned a ZB then I would have no business here but I have owned three of them-ZB's-Beautiful looking-Wonderful sounding-Worst mechanics of a rod operated pedal steel (besides a Clark) Image yeah I had one of them (briefly) too Image
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

For what its worth ... once I set my ZB up I haven't had to touch it since. They work great and are solid sounding and playing steels. If you need to change pulls around you may want a different steel.
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Paul. If your changing set-ups the ZB mechanics are a challenge but when it's balanced and tuned man my D10 stays in tune
better than any steel I have ever owned and
sounds like butter.Russ we must have had the
same idea at the same time. When I was routed
back to the thread your post had said it better.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Chuck McGill on 17 November 2006 at 06:32 AM.]</p></FONT>
Pat Kelly

Post by Pat Kelly »

Russ, I've got to agree. Bought the ZB from member from Illinois. Freighted out to Australia with two stops, Still in tune when I picked it up.
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Wireing diagram for a ZB D10
Has anyone got one ?
The Pots have been removed from mine and would like to restore them as i am thinking of selling or tradeing it for a keyless steel.
JOHN ROCHE
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I also need a wiring diagram for a D-10 if anyone has one.
Thanks, Dave
Dave Lounsbury

Post by Dave Lounsbury »

[img]http:www.//f7.yahoofs.com/users/SRCAFMtHKQw8/_tn_/451d.jpg?phKN2AFBcapu8nz3[/img]
Sorry about all the edits, I tryed to post a pic of me in the 70's on my ZB <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave Lounsbury on 27 November 2006 at 06:09 PM.]</p></FONT>