I Remember Clifford - E9

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark McCornack

I Remember Clifford - E9

Post by Mark McCornack »

Here's a lovely piece I thought I'd take a stab at arranging on E9-10. It's " I remember Clifford" written by Jazz saxophonist Benny Golson in 1959 as a tribute to the late Clifford Brown who died the tender age of 25.
This is just steel solo with no backing tracks, so a bit sparse. The audio track coincides with the video with only a very minor audio edit part way through. I was just too lazy to try and get it all in one pass :).
Mark
https://youtu.be/B3WW6DPxg34
Marc Muller

Post by Marc Muller »

Very nice. Mind boggling what all those pedals and strings can do.
Slim Heilpern

Post by Slim Heilpern »

That's beautiful Mark!
Chromatic Harmonica, Guitar, and Pedal Steel (Williams U12 Series 700, Emmons lap)
http://slimandpenny.com
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Mark, outstanding job on this piece. Thanks for sharing.
Ross Koeberl

Post by Ross Koeberl »

This is remarkable! I also saw your 'Polkadots and Moonbeams' video after this one and have spent the rest of the afternoon working to imitate some of these incredible chords you're getting out of the E9 -- I never realized they were all hiding in there! Fantastic stuff.
Mark McCornack

Post by Mark McCornack »

:) Thanks for the nice words Ross. Glad you liked it! The pedals/levers aren't really anything out of the ordinary. Standard Emmons floor pedals, and the knee levers are also commonly used changes.
As you saw the "Polkadots and Moonbeams" video I made a few years back, at around 2:00 in, I describe the copedent as used. This song uses an additional knee lever, the 3 knee changes as described plus a 4th knee for a B to Bb change on strings 5 & 10. Note this change also must split with the "A" floor pedal yielding a C natural. I have the Eb and F knee levers on the same knee (right, in my case), the others on the other knee.
I hope this is helpful :). ...Mark
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

Beautiful!
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver