ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Hello Folks,
The deal on the ZB I posted was a little screwy to say the least. I originally just posted the pictures to show what it looked like...at least I think that was what I was doing. The owner has promised to send a donation to the Forum because the leads came from here. I received no monetary compensation, but did met a nice person, the owner, through the deal. To those who didn't get it I'd like to pass on that she had a really tough time deciding on who to sell it to and didn't want to start a bidding war.
If someone ever offers me a deal on a ZB that I can't afford in the future, I'm just going to offer to post it outright. It was uncomfortable being the go between.
I did remember that I still owe b0b a donation which will be in the mail real soon.
Duncan<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Duncan Hodge on 27 April 2006 at 03:55 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Duncan Hodge on 27 April 2006 at 06:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

For those of you who are interested...the buyer of the D11 is my friend Jeff. I've been looking for a steel for him and when this one came up I told him to jump on it. He has been wanting to buy my D11/10 so this helps me keep mine! I'm sorry you missed out Chas...but I'll keep an eye out for you so I don't have to sell you mine. Image

Russ
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Russ thank you, on the plus side, it means I don't have to explain another guitar to my darling.

Duncan, again, thank you for your efforts.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

All those guys on that other thread talking about how tone is all in the hands. I don't think any of them have heard a ZB Custom through a Webb. I think a couple of them would change their minds. I did.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 05 May 2006 at 10:24 PM.]</p></FONT>
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Hey folks! Here is a link that Brendan Mitchell posted in the Steel Players section of the Forum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeGuwZxXJPQ&search=manassas%20stills
Great ZB stuff. Great time capsule images of Stephen Stills, Chris Hillman, Al Perkins and Dallas Taylor back when they were kids.
I hope that all the mothers of you "ZB nuts" have a great Mother's Day.
Duncan
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I've got serial # 85 here for restoration. I'll post some before and after photos.
Bob Hamilton

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Interesting Kevin, I just bought 0084 and brought it home. D-10 8x4 blue and blonde, white fretboards and black pickups. Pretty clean, considering its age, but the C6 was pretty messed up. I have completely changed the setup and oiled and massaged the undercarriage and it plays great now. Weird though, when I first got the guitar, it had a bad case of cabinet drop, which is not usually the case for ZB's. After a couple of hours under the hood, I noticed that the screws that attach the aluminum bars (that most of the mechanics are attached to) had been over waxed during initial construction, and some had become very loose. I carefully installed longer (#10 x 5/8") screws, and presto, the cabinet drop was gone. This is just a heads up for you fellow ZBers. If you have any cabinet drop at all, this is a good place to start. There's a valid reason for those beefy aluminum strips under there. I wonder how long this guitar was played that way....
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Very good Bob. #85 was originally brown mahogony and natural tops. ZB's typicaly need alot of going over, but when they are done right they play just fine. Thanks for the info. Email me a picture if you have it. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 12 May 2006 at 07:58 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Hamilton

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Will do Kevin, I'd like to get my other ZB set up next to it for photos anyway, it's number 0108, same colors but it's 9 x 6. There are some subtle differences. 0108 is all chrome underneath, for starters. I'll try to get that done this weekend. Regards, BH
tom anderson

Post by tom anderson »

I just got a DVD of a Steve Stills-Manassas recording from the 1970's featuring Al Perkins on his ZB Custom pedal steel, & I recommend it to all of you who love ZB's. There are tons of close-ups of Al playing & his tone is fantastic. He plays it straight & uses a fuzz-tone. Country rock at it's finest. I found it from Amazon cheap. If only there was a Rick Nelson/Tom Brumley DVD from the same era.
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

Greetings, ZBers. I was recently contacted off the Forum by a longtime ZB owner - a Scranton-built ZB about a dozen serial numbers away from my '67 - and the pictures he sent confirmed that a few ZBs from that period were built with white necks and fretboards. The rest of the guitar was stained wood and trim. My #1077 is this way, and I've always wondered if there were more of 'em. There are...

Seems like I've seen some Sho-Buds that were done the same way from around the same era. Didn't Zane Beck work for Sho-Bud for a little while? Is there a chance this is where he got the idea, or perhaps it was his idea?

A few things to ponder...

All ZBest,
LC<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Larry Chung on 31 May 2006 at 07:29 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Larry Chung on 31 May 2006 at 09:14 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Larry Chung on 31 May 2006 at 09:15 AM.]</p></FONT>
Pat Kelly

Post by Pat Kelly »

Come Larry, you know the drill. Post the pics man!
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

<SMALL>If only there was a Rick Nelson/Tom Brumley DVD from the same era.</SMALL>
I'd give my left... er,

my left knee left to see that
John Rutledge

Post by John Rutledge »

When I started working for Tom Brumley, I think it was 69 or 70 Tom cut a L P with Rick Nelson called Garden Party. He signed it and gave me a copy. I don't know of any others L P's, but there could be more. I don't know.
John<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Rutledge on 05 June 2006 at 07:31 PM.]</p></FONT>
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

I've got an LP called "Rick Nelson in Concert--The Troubador, 1969" with Tom Brumley. The liner notes say it was recorded two years before "Garden Party", on Dec. 13, 1969. My copy is a reissue LP. I'll have to dust off the old turntable and give it a listen!
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Well,this makes 1090 posts,but then again,who's really counting?
(just tryin' to help it along.) Image

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.</pre></font>

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Smiley Roberts on 05 June 2006 at 09:22 PM.]</p></FONT>
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

I have a little problem with first pedal. As I apply pressure at the bottom of the pedal it pops. I have looked for something to bind but it only does it upright. Still haven't found anything.HELP. I doesn't effect the pull but bugs me!
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Ah, the classic "only when its vertical ZB pop". Chuck, take a thin piece of packing foam about six inches in length and wrap your two "A" pedal connecting rods where you see them touching your "B" or "C" pedal rods.
You can wrap a small piece of cut duct tape around the foam. You have to do this from under guitar to see just where to do it because the rod binding will only reveal itself when the guitar is vertical (because the rods flap). Go under there with a flash light and press the "A" pedal and trace the rods back. You should see it where the rods are touching. I've had two ZB's that I had to do this to. Usually from rods not being snugged up enough in their turnbuckles. Its a quick fix without re-rodding and adjusting the "A" pedal rods. Hope this helps.
Pat Kelly

Post by Pat Kelly »

Every time this thread bumps up (nearly) I learn something. Thanks to Russ, Kevin, Larry, DVA etc.

Smiley, I reckon this thread didn't need extra faux posts. These guys can manage on their own.

Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

Newly added on eBay--item #7421746971 (someone else can work out the html link) a D-10 two serial numbers before my S-10. Somehow I missed out on a white pickup cover AND a ZB Custom sticker on the pedal bar.
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Thanks for the info Kevin.
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

That guitar looks EXACTLY like mine, like they stole my pics Image
but mine has 7 & 3, and has black pick-ups.

Anyone interedted in buying it? Larry? I live in SF bay area. Image
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Go for it Larry! Image
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Way over priced.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Let me remind anyone who is interested in buying a used ZB to be ware. I have NEVER seen a used ZB that wasn't severely out of adjustment unless it came from Billy Knowles or Greg Jones. Most all the ZB's for sale out there are in VERY poor condition. There was a guy in Canada who wanted $1500.00 for a ZB with a cracked body and two original knee levers. These guitars are only good if they are thoroughly gone over by a ZB mechanic, and they are NOT easy. Once they are put back into balance and the knee levers replaced they are okay. Most out there are real dogs and need to be disassembled and reassembled. The mechanics are very limited.