Is anybody building new double 8 consoles?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bob Delle Cava

Is anybody building new double 8 consoles?

Post by Bob Delle Cava »

Just curious. Don’t really see anything out there. I know the market is not big for these.
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Absolutely. I don't know what his production time is these days, but Todd Clinesmith makes the best out there.

https://www.clinesmithinstruments.com/c ... el-guitars
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

These guys do, too and they are excellent!
http://www.ramguitars.com/RAM_Guitars/NeoGrande.html
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

According to his website, Gary Rue will do a special order:

https://garyruesmusic.wixsite.com/kingp ... le-trouble

Caladesi guitars has this National inspired model and I believe that they are gearing up to do a Stringmaster style version as well.

https://caladesiguitars.com/caladesi-double-neck/
Bob Delle Cava

Post by Bob Delle Cava »

That’s great stuff. Thanks!
G Strout

Post by G Strout »

Melbert 8, Remington S8,Remington D8, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Old Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'
George Piburn

My personal D8

Post by George Piburn »

GeorgeBoards plans to sell his personal D8 I played at the Dallas and Tulsa Jamborees.

This is a super guitar and one of a kind museum quality, not for the weak of pocketbook.
Will Brown

D8

Post by Will Brown »

How come Jimmie Hudsons name never gets mentioned when any body ask this question. He build a great non pedal steel console I know I own or have owned 20 or more of his. He can build you a really good low cost one. Or he can build you a RollsRoyce model it all depends on how much you want to spend and he's a super guy to deal with. Never meet the man but talked to him thousands of times on the phone. During all the builds he has done for me making sure he was building what and how I wanted them. Give him a call see what you think
G Strout

Post by G Strout »

I thought that jimmie had closed the business and / or had retired from making steel guitars?
Melbert 8, Remington S8,Remington D8, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Old Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'
Will Brown

D8

Post by Will Brown »

No he is still building but not as Hudson steels but as Growler steel but he still builds the non pedal line also. He is. Building me one as we speak
Steven Pearce

Post by Steven Pearce »

I second that vote for Melbert. Bob just shipped the new double 6 console he’s built for me.
G Strout

Post by G Strout »

Steve..... pics please if you get a chance. I am thinking about having Bob do me 6/8. Still in the planning stages. Looking at some of Jerrys PUPs (Sentell) and possibly a bender on the 6 neck.
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

Another (obvious) possibility is the modular approach by getting a Deluxe34 stand that holds two guitars. I own a triple console, which is cool, but jesus, it’s a beast.
The Deluxe stand with my Clinesmith aluminum cast 8 along with any of my other laps is very adaptable to different bands and jams. And light.

A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Can you still get a Deluxe34 stand? :whoa:
Erv
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

Asher guitars owns Deluxe stands now, but it sounds like they are slow going….
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Tom Wolverton

Jimmie Hudson

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I’m building a double neck from Jimmie’s kits. It will be an 8-string Stringmaster on the rear neck and a 6-string Valco style (string thru) on the front neck. I call it my “Master Blaster”. 🤣

To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Steven Pearce

Post by Steven Pearce »

I ordered this Melbert, D6, 24 and a half scale. I asked Bob for this color and he did a great job. The tunings are; front neck is D, rear neck is A6th. I wanted the string spacing 3/8th’s at the bridge and nut, straight run, and it’s right on.
Happy happy! Thanks Bob for another great steel.
Steve