Need Push Pull Maintenance Guide

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Austin Starkey

Need Push Pull Maintenance Guide

Post by Austin Starkey »

Is there any available Push Pull maintenance guide out there? Book, PDF, blog, forum thread, stone tablet?
I have a non-Emmons Push Pull that needs to be stripped down, have the changer cleaned, some parts gone through, small copedent changes, etc.
I haven't worked on an Emmons, or any other Push Pull before, but have done some All Pull work with success, after some guidance. I feel confident I can get through it, but would prefer some sort of instruction or guide if any is available. I know it will most likely be for an Emmons, but that is ok.
Open to suggestions, but trying to get this work done without sending it out if possible.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

There is the booklet and a series of videos from Clem Schmitz:

Available on eBay and directly from Clem.
Mike Polansky

Post by Mike Polansky »

The Clem Schmitz book/DVD is super detailed but if you just need a quick reference the wilderness guide is helpful:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... eba57864a8
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

Good job guys.

Those are the two I'd recommend, and I'm not sure if I can think of any others.
Dave Magram

Post by Dave Magram »

There are some good tips in the “sticky” thread above: Guide to tuning an Emmons Push/Pull
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=205028

I'd highly recommend Clem Schmitz's bargain-priced booklet "Methodology And Practice In Pedal Steel Guitar" to any Emmons push-pull owner. Clem used to own a steel guitar store and repair shop in Minneapolis, then one in Nashville, where he worked on Emmons push-pulls owned by players such as Mike Johnson.

The 24-page booklet shows how to make simple adjustments to an Emmons push-pull or even take the entire guitar apart and put it back together.

In his booklet, Clem explains step by step (with photos) exactly how to disassemble, re-assemble, and adjust push-pull guitars with several clever little tricks that would take a very long time to figure out--including a simple solution to setting the correct amount of slack on the 4th string in 5 seconds or less! (Just that tip alone is worth the bargain price of Clem's booklet & DVD!)

He sells the booklet and a DVD combo package on eBay listed as "Pedal Steel Guitar 83 METHODOLOGY P/P Book & 2008 2 DVD's Package" for just $21!
Highly recommended!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274497649883?h ... XQMmJROe-R

If Clem's material is no longer on eBay, try contacting him at freedomsauce(at)comcast(dot)net (replace the "at" with "@", and "dot" with ".")

Emmons push-pull guitars are very reliable and stable and I almost never need Clem's booklet, but it's great to have for the rare time every 10 years or so when some little Allen screw loosens up somewhere, or a string pitch change isn't happening the way it should and you have to leave for a gig in the next 30 minutes. :-)

Clem is a very helpful guy; I've heard that if you are really stuck, he will guide you through the fix via Skype for a very nominal fee.

- Dave
Charlie Hansen

Post by Charlie Hansen »

John Lacey has a guide that I believe I have a copy of. Send me a pm with your email address and I’ll send it when I find it. It should be this afternoon.
I don't know much but what I know I know very well.
Carter S-10 3X5, Peavey Nashville 112, plus Regal dobro and too many other instruments to mention.
Bluegrass Island CFCY FM 95.1 Charlottetown, PE, Canada, on the web at cfcy.fm.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.
John Sims

Post by John Sims »

Contact Micky Adams, I think he had a PP manual he created.
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Clem Schmitz's booklets are great resources.....as is Clem himself.

FYI, The John Lacey guide is presently contained in the Steel Guitar Forum via this link.

(First 'sticky' under the PSG section of the Forum)

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Ron
memphislim

Post by memphislim »

Austin, if you get in over your head or just want to have a pro do it, give me a heads up. I'm local to you and have been doing push-pull, as well as all others for over 30 years.

Slim