Paul Franklin Steel Guitar Course

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Cooper

Franklin course

Post by Gary Cooper »

What is Paul Franklin’s co-pedant?
GFI Ultra SD-10; Nashville 112; Hilton pedal, George L Cables; Pearse bar; Live Stings;Walker seat by Billy Knowles.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Gary:

Although he has some non-standard pulls(especially on C6), Paul teaches the basic setup on both necks.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Brandon Swanson

Post by Brandon Swanson »

Hi All,

I kinda just started playing a couple months ago, coming from a 6 string guitar. Is the PF class something that I would want to start sooner than later if I were to go that route or should I give it a couple more months where maybe I can not be such a beginner and maybe be able to use and retain the information easier? I know everybody is different at how they learn, so there's probably no actual real answer to this but hopefully some of you can help me decide what's best.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Go for it now: if you're thinking of making that investment, then Paul will guide you from the ground up.

DON'T do what I did fifty years ago - I thought I could figure it out (this in relation to right-hand technique) for myself and I've paid the price for that mistake ever since.

His course will start you off correctly. In two months, you may have already acquired habits that might be hard to break.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Gary Cooper

Franklin

Post by Gary Cooper »

Mr. Swanson, I think the best way to learn the pedal steel or any musical instrument is through an instructor with one-on-one lessons.
GFI Ultra SD-10; Nashville 112; Hilton pedal, George L Cables; Pearse bar; Live Stings;Walker seat by Billy Knowles.
Tom Spaulding

Re: Franklin

Post by Tom Spaulding »

Gary Cooper wrote:Mr. Swanson, I think the best way to learn the pedal steel or any musical instrument is through an instructor with one-on-one lessons.
Agreed. Unfortunately, that is impossible or impractical for the majority of those wishing to learn the pedal steel, so the next best option is “whatever gives students the results they seek”.

Many find video lessons to be an acceptable (even preferable) solution, since you can get 24/7 access to hundreds of lessons for a monthly rate that is often less than a typical hourly rate from a pro.
Kevin Fix

Post by Kevin Fix »

I purchased his course when it first came out. I needed some C6 help. Highly recommend. Great for E9th players too. I paid for the 1 year course. Sure wish it was around 45 years ago!!!
Michael Stover

Post by Michael Stover »

The switch from an annual pay period to month-to-month has been a huge asset for me. I have months when I'm extremely busy and other months when I have more time to sit at the steel. I can look at my calendar & decide whether to plunk down $50 for the month! I never regret spending the equivalent of one private lesson for a month's worth of great instruction.
Gary Cooper

Franklin

Post by Gary Cooper »

When one signs up for Mr Franklin’s course how many months can one view the videos?
Allen Merrell

Post by Allen Merrell »

Depends on the option you choose, by the month, 3 months or a year. Depending on your budget.
72 ShoBud 6153 D10, Encore, Nashville 112, Boss Katana, Spark 40, Quilter TT12, GT001, ProFex II,Jackson Pitch changer (Love this bender)
Tom Spaulding

Re: Franklin

Post by Tom Spaulding »

Gary Cooper wrote:When one signs up for Mr Franklin’s course how many months can one view the videos?
Hi Gary -

We've created a detailed landing page that answers most of the questions anyone might have about the PFM.

You can read all about the course content, watch four complete sample lessons, see the available payment options, view all 500+ lessons titles, and read student testimonials here: The Paul Franklin Method.

Scroll down on that page to open and read the Course FAQs that explain in detail what the course is, how to access it, etc. Hope that helps!
Last edited by Tom Spaulding on 13 Jun 2023 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Cooper

Franklin

Post by Gary Cooper »

Thank you Tom.