6-string PSG...what's with these?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I played Steve's new Steel this past weekend.
It is very cool!
I was able to get used to the 6-string method pretty quick.
It's totally do-able. Any other needed note is within two frets.
It was very fun to play!
Sounded really good!
Good Steelin' to you, Steve!
:)
Gloria Baldwin

Pedal steel

Post by Gloria Baldwin »

Does anyone know of any tablature or books or anything that would tell me how to play a 6 string pedal steel guitar tuned to a straight E (G# E B G# E B) with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers. I am learning to play a Hudson but I’m following along in a book. I don’t have anything for this today can anyone help?
Thank you,
Gloria
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

When I had my 6-string I just subtracted 2 from the string number in 10-string tab for most strings, subtract 3 for string 8 and 4 for string 10...you also can figure out which pedal/lever converts one of your strings into the F# (string 7) or D (string 9, probably can't do that) and then the fret numbers work, otherwise you have to move the bar a bit for some notes.
Takes a bit of getting used to but no more than a lot of pedal steel things!
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Gloria Baldwin

Pedal Steel

Post by Gloria Baldwin »

Thank you Steve. Maybe not knowing how to play it all would be better for me to learn the straight E tuning. I would not be a professional player and would only play for my own pleasure. I’m sure with all those knees and pedals I could figure out something even if I have to move up the neck a little bit to get a note. Thank you again,
Gloria
Paul Strojan

Re: Pedal steel

Post by Paul Strojan »

Gloria Baldwin wrote:Does anyone know of any tablature or books or anything that would tell me how to play a 6 string pedal steel guitar tuned to a straight E (G# E B G# E B) with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers. I am learning to play a Hudson but I’m following along in a book. I don’t have anything for this today can anyone help?
Thank you,
Gloria
I think in terms of moving up lap steel tablature and using the pedals to fill in the notes I don’t have or as a shortcut. I play Hank Williams songs out of the Don Helms book and whenever I need the C# I just raise the A pedal.
Gloria Baldwin

Post by Gloria Baldwin »

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it
Last edited by Gloria Baldwin on 6 Jul 2023 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

How is your Hudson tuned? Is it different from the new guitar?

(G# E B G# E B) Hi string to Low, to use your numeration, is a pretty common tuning for 6 stringers.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Try lessonswithTroy.com - he has a whole series on the Hudson and his lessons are quite good, generally

Also, I can’t see where the copedent is- I thought the Hudson/Growler had B E F# G# B E. Or something, definitely with an F#. Somewhere??
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Gloria Baldwin

Pedal Steel

Post by Gloria Baldwin »

Thank you for your input Steve
Last edited by Gloria Baldwin on 6 Jul 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Isn’t there an E->F# lever? Or maybe he could change the copedent for you- I don’t know how complicated that is on those…
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Gloria, your deposit was refunded to you today by Zelle , check your bank account… this beautiful little steel is now sold to another buyer …
Last edited by Damir Besic on 14 Jul 2023 6:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gloria Baldwin

Pedal steel

Post by Gloria Baldwin »

I’m very happy Damir!! Thank you so much for your kindness and reconsidering. I understand business is business. I was so excited about the luxe and didn’t even Care to listen to my friend he said I will have some difficulty playing it. I learned a lesson here in my old age and will be sure, really sure before I ever make another purchase.
Whoever buys it will have themselves a beautiful STEEL guitar.
Gloria
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Well, there's so much one can do with this little Flynn. Jim's builds are all professional quality including his 6 stringers. I believe this is all pull and can be changed to suit different different set ups. Appears pretty straight forward for changes. With 4 knees, it is a very versatile guitar. It's a fair price....just out of my budget...or I'd be on it myself.
Gloria Baldwin

Post by Gloria Baldwin »

If only it were an E9th.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:Well, there's so much one can do with this little Flynn. Jim's builds are all professional quality including his 6 stringers. I believe this is all pull and can be changed to suit different different set ups. Appears pretty straight forward for changes. With 4 knees, it is a very versatile guitar. It's a fair price....just out of my budget...or I'd be on it myself.

Jerry my friend, you are correct, it is an all pull guitar …
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Here is a nice video:

https://youtu.be/u4I18Z7wGWQ