ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Hey Lyle
How about a ZB S10 ?
Brendan
Bob Mainwaring

Post by Bob Mainwaring »

Hey Larry, Many thank's for the kind words.
It's good to be back again like I said.
Both my Z.B.s must be from the 70s as thay are both equiped with large horns and both have the switches as mentioned.
There are no inlays as the "fretboards" are both made from plastic and apparently have the same configuaration of markings that have been "etched" into them.
The D10 has much shorter outside tubing for the leggs though. With being tall, I have had to make up spacers for the SD10 to enable me to get my big legs "under" it.

Big Bad Bob.
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

Hi Bob and ZBers:

Just a clarification about the "inlays" I spoke of earlier on this page. They're not fingerboard inlays, but rather, decorative stripes along the side of the necks, just like the body purfling as usual for ZBs. I think this was a factory option, but I see very few ZBs that actually have it. One of my ZBs has it, makes a nice and elegant addition to the already classy lines and style.

All ZBest,
LC
Lyle Clary

Post by Lyle Clary »

I have the inlays on my '69 D10

------------------
1969 ZB Custom D10, BMI S10, 1981 Peavy Musician Mark III, 15 Inch Black Widow, custom enclosure
Lyle Clary

Post by Lyle Clary »

I have the inlays on my '69 D10

------------------
1969 ZB Custom D10, BMI S10, 1981 Peavy Musician Mark III, 15 Inch Black Widow, custom enclosure
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

Golly, I had so much planned for today... then I sat down at my D-10 through my new (old) Webb 6-14E. Well, I just got up from my steel, and the sun is now setting... Holy Moley, what a sound...

I wanted to share my settings with you ZBers out there, if any of you want to try your ZBs through the Webb amp - I just can't get over how excellent this combination sounds to my ears. I think Dave Zirbel plays through one, too.

Webb settings:
Sensitivity at 3 o'clock
Volume at 9 o'clock
Right-most tone setting (red)
Bass at 2 o'clock
Mid at 9 o'clock
Treble at about 10-11 o'clock
Active EQ Off
Reverb at about 11 o'clock.

ZB -> volume pedal -> Webb = Perfection!

All ZBest,
LC

Hey Kevin - very cool! I didn't mention this above, but I almost always use the middle setting on the guitar pickups, on both necks. Sometime the really thick setting on C6. I use the tone switch as an on/off for the guitar(s).<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Larry Chung on 16 October 2005 at 12:45 AM.]</p></FONT>
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Larry, thats my setup also. If you want to hear classic west coast vintage tone thats it. I went throught alot of combinations before arriveing at this final destination. Incredible sound.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Yup. ZBs and Webbs are a great combination for sure. Image

Dave Z
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Just a lube tip for all of you fellow ZB players. Take a can of 3&1. Oil the ball sockets where the connector meets the ball on the pedal. Oil the allen screw on the L brackets for each pedal that connects to the front rail. Most importantly, if your end tuners are loose, crimp them (lightly!!) with a pair of nippers or a pair of needle nose half way up the tuner and they will be snug when you put them back on. If you crimp them too hard you won't get them back on. If you have loose endplate tuners you will creep out of tune as you are playing. Once they are snug the guitar will be rock solid. The oiling of these parts will make a noticeable smoothness in the action if you have not already done so. ZB's need oil.
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

In the studio yesterday night and had my ZB S-11 4+4 through a small Fender tube amp. Wow. Mixing board EQ was flat, and I was using the amp's reverb. Great tone, and very quiet, too.

A Halloween ZBump!
LC
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Yes, I did a session last week and used the ZB. Didn't have to work too hard to dial in a good tone. I used the Webb.

I'm going to have my second 1969 ZB D-10 refinished this week. Image

DZ
Chip McConnell

Post by Chip McConnell »

Dave your post reminded me of some thoughts I had recently regarding re-finishing: there was a time when re-finishing a vintage 6-string guitar seemed like a good idea, but of course now people covet the original finish, no matter how battered, and re-finished guitars are valued significantly lower. Dollar value aside, it seems like a shame when you see a 50's telecaster with an 80's finish on it. Anyway, I wonder if the same will ever apply to steels. Not picking on you of course Dave. You know my ZB S-10: its gone to non-descript gray and I think a re-finish is a good idea. Just curious if anyone else has thought about this.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Chip, I've had a number of steel guitars refinished and turned back out into the steel community. In each case I made sure that the original tints were adhered to. The fact is that finishes wear out. I see nothing wrong with refinishing if it is done to look as original. I just don't see the attraction of beat up old guitars whether six string or steels. I've got a refinished ZB D-10 just coming out of restore now that I am going to be putting up for sale. Again original tint. Its stunning.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Quit picking on me Chip! Image

The vintage guitar thing is different than the vintage steel thing. I see the value going up on the ZB after I refinish it. I personally wouldn't pay more for an old beat up steel.

DZ<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave Zirbel on 01 November 2005 at 07:23 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

Chip,

If that S-10 is #0248, I'd be happy to have it back (can we talk?) as is, especially after Billy Knowles' structural triage. (Almost cried over my eBay photos of it from '02 the other day...)
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Hey Ben, hope the BMI is OK for you.

If you are curious about the real color of your old D-10, it's blue! I just took it apart to have it refinished and the parts of the body that were covered by the endplates were all blue. I'm going to restore to the original color. Image

Dave Z
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

BMI's good--even a dream after the trials of the ZB. (There was an odd rod, 6-8", bent at one end, stuck in the BMI's pedal bar that looks like it goes to a ZB. I'll scan or take a photo and send it to you, in case it's something you might need/want/be missing.

My comment about 0248 to Chip was a guess that he was talking about "our" old S-10. Gray was a good way to describe it. And yes, I did discover the D-10 was blue. Took a few weeks, but one time when I was looking on the underside (perhaps prompted by a discussion here of how ZB colors faded), there it was. I'd assumed up till then that it was walnut like the S-10.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I now have ZB fret boards in both black and white available for sale. Also new style ZB decals.
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

hey Kevin- are these fretboards new old stock, exact reproductions or "improved" new in an old style?

my original fretboards start getting wonky with the fret postioning about the 16th fret- unevenly spaced and inexact. I'd be intersested to know what you have.

Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Hello folks. Rarely, in life, do we get a chance to correct a truly stupid mistake that we have made. I have been given the opportunity to buy back the beautiful red sunburst ZB SD-10 that I stupidly sold a little over a year ago. The gentleman in MD who owned it bought a great p/p from Bobbe Seymour's and thoughtfully gave me the right of first refusal. It took me about two seconds to agree to the purchase. Thank you Andrew.
I have included a picture of this Billy Knowles masterpiece and will post a picture of it alongside the blue D-10, also a work of art, that Greg Jones refurbished on my back porch, ala Russ Tkac, as soon as it arrives.
Gentlemen, I honestly believe that this will be "the last one I'll ever need", barring back surgery.
Duncan

HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Now that's a happy man! It don't get no better than that! Image
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Duncan,

My back porch doesn't have the same view that yours has! Is that ZZBB's when you have two?

Russ
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Yes, Howard, that is one happy man with his new/former ZB on the way. Russ, that is my old back porch, I'll post a picture on my new back porch as soon as the red one arrives.
Duncan<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Duncan Hodge on 11 November 2005 at 03:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Good Evening,
I just saw that Fred Justice has an SD-10 ZB for sale on his web site. The underside looks a little different than my ZBs, but mine are Bakersfield ZBs, not Scranton/Bakersfield made. Is this one original, or has it been altered?
In any event, here is a link to the ZB on Fred's site, http://www.fredjusticemusic.com/id15.html
I communicated with Fred about a different steel. He seems like a very pleasant man to do business with.
Duncan<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Duncan Hodge on 10 November 2005 at 06:29 PM.]</p></FONT>
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Dave, I have new old style fret boards. Exact reproductions done with digital printing. The are gorgeous. They have the same fret spacing as the old ones. ZB fret board frets were sharp below the 10th fret and flat above the 15th. I believe it was done for parallex but have no proof. I much prefer them over mathmatically correct ones. I do have mathmatically correct ones also if you want them.
Duncan, that ZB on Fred Justice's sight was butchered by someone who didn't like ZB mechanics. It has a completely different changer. I doubt that it gets the ZB sound. What a shame. As far as ZB's go this one's not worth much.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 10 November 2005 at 06:42 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 10 November 2005 at 07:35 PM.]</p></FONT>