ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

What did the original case for my 67 Scranton
look like. I have a case and was wondering if it came with the guitar.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Chuck McGill on 30 June 2005 at 06:02 AM.]</p></FONT>
Russ Little

Post by Russ Little »

Larry, I emailed you several months ago with
some pictures and serial number of my s10 custom.never got a responce.do I need to send them again.The sn is 212s with no zero
in front.was wondering where it was made ect.
I haven't seen any others listed without the zero.
I bought it used in 1971 form the guy who bought it new, but lost track of him.
Thanks for any help.
Russ
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

Hi Russ:

Sounds like a student model ZB. I had a red one a while back that had an "S" in the serial number. If this one has the plastic coating (I've seen red, blue, and black) over the body, it's a student model for sure. I'm not sure about the date of manufacture for student models - were they on a different numbering scheme than the regular models (without the S)? I honestly don't know. Anyone out there know???

I'd say that that you're looking at an early 1970s student model ZB. Yes, please do send photos again if you can - and my apologies for not getting back with you sooner.

All ZBest,
Larry
zbguitarinfo@yahoo.com
Russ Little

Post by Russ Little »

Thanks Larry,
I figured it must be a student model
from the construction.
I have made several mods to it over the years
Mainly buchings in the actuator bars to prevent the screw from backing out.
I also replaced the pedal board with one I made from teakwood
I also replaced the pedal rods with some
off and old fender 1000 I parted out.
I'll email you some pictures of it again.
The Guy that bought it new was named
clarence stevens from Vivian,La
He said he bought it from a music store
in Minden, La. I don't know the name of the store.
Hope it helps your project
Russ
Papa Joe Pollick

Post by Papa Joe Pollick »

Well my friends,I've read 19 pages looking for a ZB that looks like mine and haven't found one yet..It's D10 with the back neck removed.I have all the parts for the back neck except the tuners and the changer..Rods,Bell cranks,etc.This guitar has a chrome apron across the front and ends. Not wood..There are no tuners on the end.The peds and knee levers are tuned by screws on the bell cranks,underneath..The peghead has a center bar running the lengh of it with a large B ingraved in it.What should be the round part of the B looks like a Z ..The guy I got it from said it was a ZB..Can't find a number..or any other ID..Pickup is black with a 3 way swith..Great tone..I have never seen the underside of any other PSG, so I have no idea what this is..Got pics. but don't know how to send them..I know even less about PCs than I do about PGSs..Any way, thought I'd throw this info in to the pile and see what happens..Some one can surely help me ID this jewel..Thanks P.J.
Lonnie Portwood

Post by Lonnie Portwood »

On the subject of spelling, reading, or grammer, I've only made one grammatical error in my life and I seen it when I done it! Lonnie P. P.S. I've seen one ZB up close in all my years and find it amazing that so many people seem to have one or know someone who does. A fine instrument, no doubt!
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Hey Guys. Any suggestions on replacement tuners for a 1969 ZB. I need to replace two. I currently have Grovers on it, but am open to any ideas. Greg Jones says he believes that it takes 3/8" ones, but the closest I have been able to find is 25/64". I know this is close, but the first ones I tried were two big. An way, back to my original point, before I got sidetracked, is what suggestions on brands, and where to get 'em would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Duncan
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Hey Guys,
I've made it through the 19 pages now, and I may be hooked enough to try the student model I'm looking at. Only problem, I might have to move to Bakersfield to get it worked on, should it have glitches. But from many informative posts, it might be just fine in my hands. Sounds like any cabinet drop problems could be handled with a little maintenance.
Only remaining question: can a student model be set up for C6 (not that I'd want to commit such heresy).
If I knew more, I'd ask more. There's a lot of history and names associated with this brand, and you're such a bunch of diehards, it seems I couldn't go wrong at the right price.
Thanks for the memories!
Charlie
Charlie McDonald

Did I hear t-shirts mentioned?
Here's an idea for a t-shirt logo:
The t-shirt goes in my hope chest; hope nobody else bids on the ZB.
Charlie McDonald

The ZB auction didn't go my way. Bought by the same fella who bought my Red Baron.
Somebody can run with the t-shirt logos.
I'll keep looking for a ZB!
Charlie
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Charlie McDonald

Thanks Russ. It's got way more than I want, and more than I'd ever be able to use at my age. If this steel sells, it'll be way up there trying to find the reserve.
No hurry, I always keep looking.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

But I'm looking real hard at it, Russ.
Duncan
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Duncan,

It looks good and at 78 lbs it FEELS GOOD!

Russ Image
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Well here's pictures of one I restored and owned for about 12 years. It is currently owned by forumite Chuck McGill.

Here's the story as I know it.

This is possibly the only 12 string Zane Beck ever built. I bought it in 1980 from a guy
in Oklahoma that had worked for Zane in Arizona several years before that. It was in pretty bad shape and had only one junky knee lever and 6 pedals. I refinished the cabinet, made the knee levers and the 7th pedal and all the parts required to hook it all up.

Basil Smith had bought the ZB company about this time and I had ordered the pedal and some other small parts from him, but before he could get them shipped, he was killed in a car accident. His widow knew nothing about the parts and it was a year or two before someone else bought what was left of the company. By that time I had made everything I needed.

I sold the guitar to a man in Corsicana, Texas around 1992, then two or three years ago, it came up on Ebay, which is when Chuck bought it. It did not have the decal on the front when I sold it, that was added by someone else later. These old guitars never die they just fade a little.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Papa Joe Pollick

Hi Larry,I've taken my ZB completely apart,getting ready to do some major things to it,and I found a number stamped inside of the chromed steel rap-around.It is 210003.The 2 and the 1 look like they were made with different dies, like maybe added later.
A discription of my ZB is on page 19 of this thread. Sure would like to learn more about it.Thank you..P.J.

------------------
ZB DS10 3\4
Stringmaster D8
Nationals Rocket One 10 ,Chicagaon
Dobro 8 string
Strats,Teles,Gibson,Ibanezs
Old Fender & Gibson tube amps.Little bit of talent.
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

Hi Papa Joe:

I read your post on Page 19 - this thread may need a ZIP code of its own soon - and I'm not sure whether or not this is a ZB. Most ZBs had "horns" on both the tuning keyhead and the changer mount, and only the student models had a metal front, as far as I know. Also, a four digit serial number should be stamped onto and into the bottom edge of the guitar near the output jack. A photo or two might help, you can email them to me or to the Forum and have them posted. If this isn't possible, there's always the good ol' USPS.

Please let me know - I'll be happy to help you out with finding out more about your guitar.
ZBest as always,
LC
Papa Joe Pollick

Larry, I'm not sure either about whether it's a ZB or what. The guy I got it from said it was,and at the time I had never even heard of Zane Beck,so he wouldn"t have been trying to impress me.As i said in my original post,the large ingraved B on the tuner head kinda looks like it has a Z in it.
To be honest, the mechanics Ain't very well engineered..From what I've resd here on the SGF about Mr. Beck, it's hard to believe he would have built any thing BUT quality steels.
If you want to E-Mail your snail mail address to me, I'll send the pics.I took before I tore it down for a rebuild. Thanks for your time and effort..P.J.

------------------
ZB DS10 3\4
Stringmaster D8
Nationals Rocket One 10 ,Chicagaon
Dobro 8 string
Strats,Teles,Gibson,Ibanezs
Old Fender & Gibson tube amps.Little bit of talent.
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Darvin I bought the 12 str from Atomic music
in DC. It was posted by Andrew and I followed
up on it. It is in the process of being revived with the help of ZB guru Greg Jones
when I need parts and support. Greg is one
great guy.
Gene Quint

Post by Gene Quint »

I bought a ZB Custom steel guitar back in the late 60's from Tom Brumley after he bought the company. I saw a listing of serial numbers of (supposedly) all ZB's on the forum a while ago but my serial number wasn't listed. I just learned from one of the replies in the forum that Tom started a new serial number sequence when he bought the company which explains my Serial number of 0047. I bought it new from Tom and have been playing it since I got it. I have been considering rebuilding it but wondered about the availability of parts. It's a D10 - 8 floor pedals and 3 knee levers.( I added the 3rd.), brown in color. The finish is in pretty bad shape because I learned too late that when you live in the cold frozen north (Maine) one doesn't move the instrument from a vehicle where it's been sitting sub zero all night to a warm room. The finish looks like a honeycomb effect. I met Tom at a Buck Owens concert in Bangor Maine back in the mid 60's and kept in touch with him by phone and bought the ZB from him a short time later. I moved to Bakersfield shortly after and worked in the area for a couple years before coming back to Maine. I have lost touch with Tom since and wondered if anyone has an e-mail address or some other way of contacting him. I would appreciate any input. Thanks, Gene Quint. My e-mail address is qes@pwless.net
Lyle Clary

Post by Lyle Clary »

Gene, You might try getting in touch with John Rutledge. He worked in the ZB factory when Tom had it. He might also answer questions about your steel. He probably worked on it. Do a search on his name in pedal steel. Welcome to the forum. You are not going to believe the knowledge that it contains.You can find John on page 14 of Larry Chung's ZB masterpiece. You might be interested in other's talking about the brown color that might not be brown.

------------------
1969 ZB Custom D10, BMI S10, 1981 Peavy Musician Mark III, 15 Inch Black Widow, custom enclosure
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Lyle Clary on 06 August 2005 at 01:05 PM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

Hi Gene and Lyle:

Well, I'd call this thread more of a "work in progress" - not unlike many of the ZBs I've seen and played. (;

Gene, your ZB 0047 is most certainly a Bakersfield guitar - Zane owned the company in the mid-60s and had a different numbering scheme then. Those guitars start with 1001 up to about 1199 (I think). Then, when the company moved to Bakersfield, the numbering system started from 0001. Sounds like a great guitar you've got. I own #0124, an S-10 3+4 original, and it's a wonderful sounding pickup and great playing guitar. Hope this info helps.

Congratulations and welcome.
ZBest,
Larry
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

I guess this is the preface to having my ZB-thread participant's membership card revoked and the epaulets cut from my uniform, but it looks as if I have struck a firm deal to pass along #0131 to someone man enough to wrestle that D-10 alligator. Despite an idealistic determination to hang onto it until musical and mechanical competence accrued sufficiently, fiscal problems (ironically, all tracing back to the car accident that occurred a few hours before I was set to drive the ZB to Bakersfield for a setup) necessitated the sale. (I wasn't injured at all--I've just sunk such a fortune into a) reviving my clanky Astro van and b) trying to keep a $300 Olds Delta 88 running for at least a week at a time. With six months gone by and 20/20 hindsight, it's clear that I'd've been ahead to pay the body shop $3500 out of pocket to fix the accident car's mangled rear end.)

But that's not my point. Because of my voluntary departure from active status in the august Zeta Beta fraternity, I see no point in my bidding on the ZB volume pedal now up on eBay (7341872874). Twenty-four hours ago, you might have been eating my dust. But, for my ZB friends, a tip and a promise that you won't have enbay to compete with...unless the D-10 sale defies the odds and falls through.

I do look forward someday to getting perhaps an S-10 (like #0248 I had before the D-10) or SD-10 or possibly even a BMI. Meanwhile, I'll be struggling through my various beginner books and videos on a sweet blonde Sho-Bud 6139 S-10 Professional.

Auf wiederZBen but not farewell...

-------------
Wed 8/10:

All bets are off, as the ZB sale has run onto the rocks (details in Instruments For Sale). Can somebody safety-pin my epaulets back on for the time being?<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ben Elder on 10 August 2005 at 11:35 AM.]</p></FONT>
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

I can't believe no one here has jumped on this pedal.
Brendan
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I found this while surfing the net. Image

By the way, I'm in the market for a single neck ZB, a REAL one.

Thanks,DZ<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave Zirbel on 10 August 2005 at 10:06 PM.]</p></FONT>