User Report: TT15 vs K130

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Grafe

User Report: TT15 vs K130

Post by Dave Grafe »

I finally got my hands on one of the new Eminence TT15 speakers to put in the Webb 6-14, replacing the K130 that has been my standard for decades. With a couple of shows down I thought I would share what I found.

First and foremost, the K130 has a full octave of high frequency response that is absent in virtually every other offering, including the TT15 and other premium products from Eminence, to the extent that it took a LOT of high end eq to get most of the highs I am accustomed to. Added to that the midrange of the TT15 is also "honkier" than the tone of the relatively flat JBL, but again eq changes got it sorted, to fhe point that I intend to leave the Eminence installed as it trims 10 pounds of the carry weight of the amp.

The 8-ohm JBL has an industry-leading sensitivity (1w@1kHz@1m) of 103dB, the 4-ohm TT15 has a a still impressive sensitivity of 101dB, so volume per watt if reduced is at least in the same ball park, and the listed power handling of the TT15 is enough to handle the Webb's full 225 watts output into 4 ohms. At 8 ohms the amp delivers about 150 watts, a good match for the K130 and enough to achieve essentially the same volume levels as the TT15 with half the wattage.

Webb 6-14 performance settings

JBL K130
Sensitivity 10
Volume 3
Treble 2.5
Midrange 4.5
Bass 8

Eminence TT15
Sensitivity 10
Volume 4.5
Treble 6.5
Midrange 3.5
Bass 8

As can be seen, the primary differences between the two are in the midrange and high frequency response, with a small variance in overall volume. The high end roll-off of the neo speaker required a significant boost in treble eq but also eliminated a lot of spurious pick and string noise that the JBL loves to reproduce with great accuracy.

Bottom line, for me at least, is that this neo speaker is well worth the trouble and expense, in that I was able to dial in the tone I seek and lightened the load with a minimum of frustration. YMMV 😎
Last edited by Dave Grafe on 23 May 2023 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Dave, thanks for a interesting review and observation of these speakers. Definitely worth the swap.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Don't get me wrong, I will def be keeping my beloved JBL's in various other amps, this experiment was about reducing the weight of my primary carry amp, and fortunately with the Webb's tone stack the conversion has so far been successful.

At some point I intend to try the TT15 with a proper 4-ohm Fender amp to see how the Fender tone stack matches up with the TT's enhanced mids and reluctant highs, but at the moment I don't have one available. Film at eleven...
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

enhanced mids and reluctant highs
That absolutely will be a chapter title in my yet-to-be-written memoir.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

If you come across an Eminence EPS-15C neo speaker (discontinued) try it. A friend replaced a blown JBL speaker in his Webb with the EPS-15C and likes it.

Background on the EPS-15C.It was designed to be a direct replacement for a Peavey 1501-4 Black Widow speaker Peavey used in steel amps. The 1501-4 was designed to be a high power version of the JBL (K130 I believe) used in the original Session 400 steel amp.

I was one of the field testers for the EPS-15C. My first impression was "this sounds like the K-130 I had in a (AB768 chassis) Fender Twin Reverb I had in the 70's"
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Jack Stoner wrote:If you come across an Eminence EPS-15C neo speaker (discontinued) try it. A friend replaced a blown JBL speaker in his Webb with the EPS-15C and likes it.

Background on the EPS-15C.It was designed to be a direct replacement for a Peavey 1501-4 Black Widow speaker Peavey used in steel amps. The 1501-4 was designed to be a high power version of the JBL (K130 I believe) used in the original Session 400 steel amp.

I was one of the field testers for the EPS-15C. My first impression was "this sounds like the K-130 I had in a (AB768 chassis) Fender Twin Reverb I had in the 70's"
Hi Jack:
I have both the TT-15 and the EPS 15 and I find the EPS has a sweeter vibe especially when I roll the treble off a bit. The high end becomes smooth and creamy and way up on the neck there is no ice picky tone.

I wish Eminence would bring this model back as I would get another.
I survived the sixties!
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Has anyone tried a TT12 with a
PF350 in two separate cabinets?
I have a PF 350 and it seems a little heavy sounding.
I have to roll off most of the lows and mids.

https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Len Amaral wrote:
Jack Stoner wrote:If you come across an Eminence EPS-15C neo speaker (discontinued) try it. A friend replaced a blown JBL speaker in his Webb with the EPS-15C and likes it.

Hi Jack:
I have both the TT-15 and the EPS 15 and I find the EPS has a sweeter vibe especially when I roll the treble off a bit. The high end becomes smooth and creamy and way up on the neck there is no ice picky tone.

I wish Eminence would bring this model back as I would get another.
If you compare the response curves of the EPS 15 with that of the TT 15 you can see that they are very nearly the same, suggesting the source of the TT line's architecture as well as explaining the EPS no longer being offered.

EPS 15C

TT 15

Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

Dave, check your email.